TCCoA Forums banner
81 - 82 of 82 Posts
Another basic question: for a diy setup, how would you go from a rectangular port on the header flange to a round exhaust tube?

While starting from a stock used set of mustang long tubes and clearencing them as needed would be the most cost effective option for me, the ROI isnt there over my stock setup for my application. If i was to go down the diy header front, it would be to enable something truly stupid like 180 degree headers (which make no sense on my engine build except for the glorious sound since i dont rev beyond 5000-5500 rpm anyway). Also, because ive run out of projects for my tbird and i have no room for a second car build (something CA street legal).
-g

GM:
All of this holiday idle time has got me to thinking - how exactly did you mock up your headers for test fitment?
Did you start with an engine model in the header SW or does the header SW just pot angles for you? How did you determine if this would/would NOT interfere with the steering shaft?

Did you do any mock up? I saw some companies offer PVC-pipe based mockup systems which I'm sure can be copied or found elsewhere.
Example:
Custom Headers Built To Your Specifications
The first time around, on my set, I pain-stakingly removed-and-reinstalled both the cylinder head and the steering column in and out of the car an obscene amount of times to get it right.

The second time around on the set that I auctioned off, I mocked the location of the steering column with a piece of tubing that was pretty much identical to the size of the steering column. That way, I could do everything outside of the car.

The header software I purchased later and used to setup some models for the 4V headers I've been wanting to work on for some people. Sadly, my work has consumed so much of my time to make much progress on that. When I had the 4V header flanges laser cut, I told the vendor to save the oval slugs. I had planned to drill the slugs, about 4 of them, bolt them together, then grind the outside to a roundish profile to use as a punch on the hydraulic press, in order to oval out the round tubing.

81 - 82 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.