TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I get when I turn the key is the relay clicking. I replaced the starter with a new one. I tried the battery out of my truck. The battery posts are clean and tight. The connections at the starter are clean and tight. The ground at the block is inaccessable to wrench or hand but I pried on it with a screwdriver and it's tight too. Both the ground and hot wires to the starter appear undisturbed and undamaged. The only other thing I can figure to do is run a new ground wire to somewhere on the block that is more accessable but I hate to mess up the factory wiring if that isn't it. Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Have you tried starting it in Neutral? Maybe the MLPS is out of whack and it thinks it's not in Park?

Jay

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Maybe you got a bad starter? Also, check the fuses and make sure none are blown. Maybe also try swapping relays w/ a like one and see if that helps. I've done that before and found it to be a sticking relay and once swapped it fixed the issue.

Jay

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Considering the pain it was to change it out, lets hope it's not a bad "new" (it's not a reman) starter. I'm going to try a new ground wire today and see if that helps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, got it fixed. I was going to replace the ground but I thought first I would try bypassing the ignition switch and run the power straight to the relay. It worked. Turns out the ignition switch was bad. It must have been sending enough power to the relay to make it click but not trip completely. After spending $130 and quite a few hours working on it, all it was was a $17 switch and 10 minutes of work to fix it. I'll know next time!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
the ground strap on the passenger side that goes from the block to the frame is probably fubar. Make a new ground connection with the stud on the timing cover close to where the frame grounding point is. I fought with the same intermittant problem for about 7 months.

·
Registered
139 Posts
laser_red said:
OK, got it fixed. I was going to replace the ground but I thought first I would try bypassing the ignition switch and run the power straight to the relay. It worked. Turns out the ignition switch was bad. It must have been sending enough power to the relay to make it click but not trip completely. After spending $130 and quite a few hours working on it, all it was was a $17 switch and 10 minutes of work to fix it. I'll know next time!:rolleyes:
Just a tip to anyone reading this thread NEVER EVER paint the front half of the started or its bolts. I did that one time and couldn't figure out why it wasn't starting and finally realized that the front of the starter needs to contact the block for its ground... 30 minutes later, a wire brush and alot swearing and it starts first time everytime. :D And also if you are having the same problem as laser_red you might want to check and make sure the area where it mates against the block isn't rusted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts