TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

I have the mushy T-bird seats and I want to either get them upholstered to something sporty or if possible, swap them for Mustang seats. Does anyone know if you can simply change seats with the Mustang ? -- or do you recommend a good seat replacement that is fairly DIY for the install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The worst part about the seats imo is the head rest. Who designed that lol. In for replies I would like to know too. I assume Mark VIII seats are a direct swap but are they any better?

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
SC seats are probably your best bet.

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
In my experience, SC seats that are A. Available and B. In decent shape are a unicorn. Good luck finding some.

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
They’re around. The problem is they are so big and heavy that you can’t ship them, so you have to find a local buyer.

·
Registered
96 TBird, PI cams, FRRP intake, Magnaflo exhaust, added weight (stereo)
51 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Haven't decided on which route I'm gonna go atm

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I've seen one guy that had S197 GT seats. He said that some fab work was required for the seat tracks.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,955 Posts
With regard to Mustang, SN95 seats are kind of narrow and consequently don’t look quite right in the interior, and frankly the only ones that are what could be considered an upgrade over Tbird seats are the ones used in 03-04 Cobras($$$$). S197 seats fit better visually, but other than being a little firmer they’re not much more supportive than Tbird LX seats. I find the forward angled headrests really annoying.

SC seats are the best, but those options have largely dried up unless you buy a parts car or know somebody who has them. The days of finding mint sets in the u pull its are over :( You can broaden the search to 89-95 Taurus SHO though, they’re a little more common and exactly the same as SC seats except for the folding hinge(which can be swapped) and the patterns

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I find the forward angled headrests really annoying.
This. My wife's '13 Taurus has that, and TBH, I'm finding all new(er) cars with a forward angled headrest, and I'm not liking them for that.

·
Registered
1995 Ford Thunderbird LX
8 Posts
I thought you could use the mustang seats as long as you changed your existing rails onto the seats.

·
Registered
659 Posts

Somewhat serious, somewhat kidding, Id recommend Jazz seats and Jazz seat covers. Holds you in place, very light weight.

Now I daily drive these but Ive been told these are back breaking. I havent noticed.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,955 Posts
View attachment 39510
Somewhat serious, somewhat kidding, Id recommend Jazz seats and Jazz seat covers. Holds you in place, very light weight.

Now I daily drive these but Ive been told these are back breaking. I havent noticed.

Not the seats so much but if you get into an accident with those harnesses you literally will break your back. You don’t want the shoulder harness anchors lower than your shoulders, they’ll compress your spine under tension. Ideally the best solution is a harness bar between the B pillars but anchoring them to the rear deck would still be an improvement

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a full set of black leather seats out of a 98 mark viii that i would be willing to sell off if you are interested. PM for details.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not the seats so much but if you get into an accident with those harnesses you literally will break your back. You don’t want the shoulder harness anchors lower than your shoulders, they’ll compress your spine under tension. Ideally the best solution is a harness bar between the B pillars but anchoring them to the rear deck would still be an improvement
I really appreciate your posts man you always mention something I had never even thought of. Storing this one away in the mental “don’t do that” list.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts