TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not talking about the PRESSURE SWITCH on the accumulator, I am talking about the CYCLING SWITCH that is installed (at least on my '97 4.6) right up front in a refridgerant line......I am having problems with my A/C actually cycling OFF too much.
I have tried to remove a shim from the clutch-that didn't help, so I put the shim back in.
I have had my a/c shop check the system and pressures look ok, and no leaks.
I replaced the PRESSURE SWITCH, and that didn't work.
So, now I'm thinking may be the CYCLING SWITCH????? is there any way to test this or should I just replace it?? Thanks!!

·
5,650 Posts
First off, the switch on the accumulator is the cycling switch. The switch on the discharge line up front by the condensor is the high-pressure cut off switch. It serves two purposes. First, it cuts off power to the A/C clutch when the high-side pressure goes above 450 psi. Second, it activates the high-speed fan when the high-side pressure is above 325 psi. Unless you have a restriction such as a plugged orifice tube that is causing extremely high high-side pressures, the cut off switch won't be causing the clutch to cut off. The cycling switch on the accumulator is adjustable. Might want to put a set of gauges on the system and make sure the switch is set to cut out between 20-25 psi on the low-side.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting info....Thanks!!! I'm going to have anouther talk with my a/c guy then as I don't think he is too well versed with Ford a/c systems....I didn't realize that the cycling switch was adjustable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts