TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the O.D. of the factory tail pipes are before the mufflers? Considering making an axle back system for the time being until I can afford a true dual set up and wanted to know what size muffler would slide over the factory tail pipe and clamp into place. Any help is appreciated :D

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
If you want something just for sound and you still have all stock exhaust from the manifolds, just cut off the mufflers and run straight pipe. It will still be relatively quiet, but will have a nice tone to it with just the cats and resonator.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about doing that. I have a set of headers on the way to me. Whether or not I actually put them on is another story lol. It doesn't look like a fun job. Also, seeing as I am living in NJ with Florida plates, how would I fare against the local law enforcement with straight pipes and no mufflers? Anyone got a sound clip of this?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm rocking the straight pipes, no mufflers in NJ. Just barely passed emissions last month, but I dont have any local law enforcement problems. It's not too terribly loud, but I can record a sound clip for you Friday if you'd like?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure! Been youtubing them too. Sounds similar to a GT Mustang. I think I may make this a project over the weekend since the lady will be gone to PA. What size tail pipes is everyone running? And did you get any performance/gas milage gains?

·
Registered
966 Posts
A lot of guys run 2.5 inch pipes. Performance can be had if you aren't stock. But if you are stock you trade a bit of low end torque for high end horse power. If you were to just the mufflers off and call it a day it'd sound pretty good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be mildly stock. Mainly just bolt on's. I would like to run the pipes out the back so it doesn't drone under the car. Just need to see what size pipe will clamp over the factory tail pipes that split from the Y pipe in the rear. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2" will clamp over or the factory pipe o.d. is 2"??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
perfect. I now have a weekend project!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds pretty good! Tomorrow I'm going to hack off the mufflers real quick. If I like the sound while I am driving I will keep it that way. Otherwise I will do what you did and run a tail pipe out the back. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
It's annoying in the highway with no mufflers. I just picked up some cheapo cherry bombs and it sounds alright. Having a loud exhaust isn't cool when a newer stock Altima can whoop you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eh, I did my time with fast cars. Built a 12 second turbo coupe and had a 12 second Honda on the motor that went 11s on the giggle juice. If I wanted to be fast, I think I could have chosen an easier platform to build from than the Thunderbird lol. It is however a great daily beater with all of the luxuries I could ask for. I just want to make it look better, run a little better, and get better milage. A nice exhaust note never hurt anyone either :D

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I agree. It's your car and your choice. I never meant to offend, in just sharing me experience. I ran the no muffler thing for a while and it got annoying on longer trips and if you ever need to start your car late at night in a quiet neighborhood. I also look like I'm still 17 so it never helped with police.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey no offense taken :D I do appreciate the input. Trust me after running an open down pipe on the Turbo Coupe and an open header for a spell with the Honda, I'm no stranger to obnoxious exhausts lol. This doesnt seem too bad in the sound clip. I guess if i dont like it i can always clamp on some mufflers and call it a day!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Weekend Project Done! Muffler Delete 97 Bird

Spent a few hours today and about 20$ at PepBoys (I know I know) on a muffler delete. I'd say it turned out well considering my lack of tools (I've only been in NJ for a month) and the time in it. Took two hours total.

Tools used:
Hack Saw - for obvious reasons
Pry Bar - to pry the rubber hangers off o
14mm socket for the exhaust clamps
Hammer - to beat the tips down onto the pipe

I bought 24" of 2.25" OD pipe and two cheap tips (hence why I didn't mind beating on them with a hammer), and the new tail pipes tuck up nicely where the original muffler tips used to exit. They aren't visible unless you look under the car by design because I really don't want the local law seeing it.

I also want to point out the difference in sound with the pipes/tips and without. What a night and day difference the extra pipe on each side makes!!! And here's some crappy iphone pics just because I can :D - I will provide a sound clip if its desired but I think we all know what a muffler deleted 4.6 sounds like lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hang on, had to put my beer down and walk outside. Should be up in a second!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts