TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have this problem on our 97 suburban 5.7v8. when u give it gas it tends to not want more than 1/10th of the peddle or it will go into gay mode and just have the rpm's rise. today my dad replaced the throttle position sensor and its still the same. tried advancing and retarding the timing, still the same.. i unplugged the maf and it still ran, and i forget if it runs its good or if it runs its bad.. chevy forums dont know crap about there own cars.is there any way to test other sensors with the volt meter to dectect if there failing or not? thanks

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Did you give them a better description than "gay mode"? 'cause that doesn't say a whole lot. Are you saying it's slipping out of gear?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Josh_Keady said:
Did you give them a better description than "gay mode"? 'cause that doesn't say a whole lot. Are you saying it's slipping out of gear?
It means that it likes to rub it's tailpipe against other suburban's tailpipes:uppoint:

·
Registered
817 Posts
sounds like its slipping out of gear, aka "gay mode"

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
check the transmission wire harness. same thing happened on my 95 4.6L... it would be fine most of the times, but you could give it any amount of gas you want and it wouldnt slip out of gear.. but when it did slip out of gear, I would be cruising along at 1500 - 2000rpm's the car would loose power to the rear wheels, and the rpms would climb , just like neutral. then if I revved it, like over 4k, it would engage, then it would slip.. in a couple seconds it would re-engage and drive like normal. I took it to a tranny shop and they said the main wireharness was filling up with tranny fluid and it was "cross-signaling" and it went into neutral. THey emptied out the coupler and it didn't do it on the way home. So I went home and I filled the connection with dialectric grease and it never happened again.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Earl said:

It means that it likes to rub it's tailpipe against other suburban's tailpipes:uppoint:
LMAO!!!!

gay mode meaning wont go. while we were under the hood. we would hit the throttle under there and it would bog first, then u keep going at it wot at the rpm woudl eventualy get there. i dont know how to explanit

but u push on the gas to go, and the mor eu push the gas, the less its wants to go.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I don't know if this is the same, but my 4.6 bird drove like that without the MAF on. I had an LMAF on there, unplugged, while I was waiting for my chip to get returned, and that is how it drove.

Preston

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
What about the truck just having homosexual tendancies? He did say it goes into "Gay Mode" a couple times....or maybe the truck is just really, really, really happy, hey, you never know, it is a GM product after all

remember, I kid because I love :D

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Sounds kind of like bad 02's to me. Mine did that with a bad o2 that I dropped in tranny fluid during the swap.
-Thomas

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol earl u nut case. if its gay im ripping its brain out and puttin a straight one in!

as for the 02 sensors. its possible, cause her check engine light goes on and off.. any way to check the 02 to see if there fualty or is it just a swap and see kinda deal?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
ITHURTZ said:
lol earl u nut case. if its gay im ripping its brain out and puttin a straight one in!

as for the 02 sensors. its possible, cause her check engine light goes on and off.. any way to check the 02 to see if there fualty or is it just a swap and see kinda deal?
well uh...if the check engine light is on, why don't you get the codes CHECKED?! That would most likely give you your answer!
-Thomas

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
sounds like you need to take it to raymond chevy for proper diagnosis!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol we got this truck from stacisk (sp??) long while ago... and the code has only been thrown lately. this gay beast has been doing it way before then... my mom said to rip out the engine and just stick a carberated one in there since she can under stand that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts