TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning to make the center part of my taillights light up like on the thunderbirds. I have some thin red led strips that would work perfectly, but i was wondering if its possible. Does anyone have pics of the rear middle section off and without the lense cover on?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh, that was to a 89, which has more room in the back

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Good luck finding a pic with the lenses off. It looks like it's plastic seam welded together. You'll need to cut it open. you can at sometimes find a few decents pics of the assembled unit on ebay that at least lets you see the backside.

I need to call around the bone yards and find a really cheap 96~97 center reflector for myself to work on as well. I'm not about to hack up my original.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I already tried it.
I used my Dremel to cut along the plastic weld. It took a very, very long time to get it all. Even though I was using good cutting discs, there was still some material I wasn't able to cut with the Dremel. For this reason, I had to carefully pry the panels apart using gentle force. I ended up cracking both sides and ruining the entire thing. The plastic is VERY brittle.
Have fun with that...
:)

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Yea, mine ended up looking like this.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow that looks great..... which lights are those again?

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
I used the rear lights off a 91-93 like cougar_guy said. I found a set of broken taillights from a Thunderbird in the yard, and took only the LED strips out of them. I cut out a small section in the lights and put the LED's in place and siliconed it back up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts