TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a junk yard today and got an arm rest pad , cup holder console, and 2 ash trays from a 1997 Thunderbird all for $16.00 I was too lazy to use the search button on here, and found out that the cup holder would not fit properly without the new heater tube for the rear passengers. I modded my old tube to make it fit, and I now have a heated/cooled cup holder.
The junk yard was the most orginized yard I have been in. Kind of reminded me of the flee market in Hershey Pa. I ask the guy if I could bring my golf cart the next time so I wouldn't have to walk so much, he just laughed and said no.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just got one of those about a week ago. I haven't tried to put it in yet. Withch tube needs what. Is it one tube or two. If so left or right tube needed or booth. I shoudl be able to get the heat/air tube from the car I got the plate from. But if not what do you have to do to the factory unit to make it work. Also is sound like you just cut a hole. Has anyone tried to heat it up and just bend it?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just installed mine.
from what I saw, getting the 97 air tube and putting it is a PITA...

it looks like you would have to remove the entire center console *minimum* if not tear into the dash. you can look when you pull the actual cup holder piece from the parts car

it looks like a black box that runs up the passenger side all the way under the middle glove box, back to the rear vents

I just cut my original, try to use a dremel on a slow speed, because cutting it with an x-acto was a PITA but got the job done. also, don't skimp..cut a good excess amount off, otherwise you will just keep cutting sliver after sliver off trying to get it to fit perfect...which sucked.

I didn't think of the heating and bending part. I suppose it would work, but would take a bit of heat, as the plastic is kinda thick. No hairdryer here, you would need a heat gun.

right now my cup holders are heated or cooled ( :tongue: ) depending on what I set the climate control at. But I plan to use a bit of expanding foam to fill in the air tube so no air gets through.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If I did another swap I would just eliminate the tube, I don't think much air gets to the rear seat anyway.
I get a surprising amount when set to the "floor" setting, and thats AFTER my cut...

I never noticed before though.

also: I wouldn't both removing it completely, easier to just cut it if your not going to put a 97 tube in.

·
Administrator
14,230 Posts
it looks like you would have to remove the entire center console *minimum* if not tear into the dash.
Yes, you end up having to take the whole center console out, don't need to do anything else though.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I got one too

did the mod, never use floor, cold falls and it's hot down here.
Kinda sucks, I like the 94-6 ashtray and lighter. Lighter is goin in the console soon. For now I'll have to settle for bics and flippin buts out the winda

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.