TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok sorry for the cap lock all i did was a cut n paste sorry. i've just purchased a

97 SHORT BLOCK, NEW OIL PUMP, ALL NEW GASKETS, 99 AND UP PI HEADS, 99 AND UP INTAKE, STOCK THROTTLE BODY, NEW WATER PUMP, UNKNOW MILEAGE ON SHORT BLOCK, SHORT BLOCK CHECKED FOR ANY WEAR, NO FRONT ACCESORIES, NO COMPUTER OF HARNESS. INJECTORS, PLUGS, COIL PACKS WIRES, PLUGS, ALL INCLUDED. WILL INCLUDE FLYWHEEL, NEW CLUTCH, AND STARTER

i need to get a tranny, a 97 tranny would fit fine right ?? also would i be needing anything else in order to install both the engine and the tranny. i know i would need to re burn my SCt chip but what else would need to be done if anyone can help me out thanks and again sorry for the cap locks

Rigel

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Yes 97 Tranny will work. Get a newer unit if you can, they will bolt up with minor modifications. You might want to get a Flexplate if it comes with a Flywheel, a Torque Convertor of some sort, if it doesnt come with the trans, It's kinda hard to say what you would need without knowing what you have, we could go on for days :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks well right now i have a mark 8 flexplate n a mark 8 torque converter installed with the stock tranny. would i have to change that or would it be able to stay in ?? and what do you mean a newr unit if i may ask??

Rigel

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mn12KnightRyder said:
thanks well right now i have a mark 8 flexplate n a mark 8 torque converter installed with the stock tranny. would i have to change that or would it be able to stay in ?? and what do you mean a newr unit if i may ask??

Rigel
I think he means a 98/99 (not sure which) up tranny with a mechanical diode. It's a stronger transmission than the 97.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Some of the later 97 trannys already have the mechanical diode in them. I have found 2 that way so far. 98 all should have the MD and better electronics, but you will have to repin the harness for it or anything newer. 99 and up have a better valve body as well.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so i should go with a 98 tranny ??? would i have to change my torque converter or flexplate or can i live as is. also what is repin the harness into it mean if you can explain that it'll help me out thanks

Rigel

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot darrian i now know what to do thanks ok so tranny is take n care of ill purchase a 99 4r70w take my TCC solenoid, my MLPS,output shaft sensor and speedo sensor from my old tranny into the 99 and thats it, or am i'm missing something correct me if im wrong please thanks. would anything else need to be done to my car so the engine and tranny run fine in it?? would a mustang computer snap into a bird harness or am i just pushing it alittle to far ??? thanks

Rigel

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Mn12KnightRyder said:
thanks alot darrian i now know what to do thanks ok so tranny is take n care of ill purchase a 99 4r70w take my TCC solenoid, my MLPS,output shaft sensor and speedo sensor from my old tranny into the 99 and thats it, or am i'm missing something correct me if im wrong please thanks. would anything else need to be done to my car so the engine and tranny run fine in it?? would a mustang computer snap into a bird harness or am i just pushing it alittle to far ??? thanks

Rigel
instead of using your old VSS, use a dallas mustang "SpeedCal" since you have 3.73s :)

joseph

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
joseph been waiting for you to grace us with your presence you know any place around here that would install in engines and trannys for cheap or is 1600 to install it ok. been looking around n people keep telling me they dont install them.and i cant get ahold of bart. engine that im getting is in fort myers so thats going to be a fun trip :2huh: .

Rigel

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
rigel, talk to steve at thunderautosports.

369-1171 or 1711, i cant remember which one. i say get a list of exactly what you are going to do..and talk to him or lisa. steve is a good guy, he did my gears for me. his shop in in boynton just off I95. Boynton Beach Blvd exit, turn onto industrial, just before the texaco station. take the first right, you will see a bunch of stangs sitting out front....

joseph

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is it a 561 area code?? ill try calling them tomorow would they have a website so i can check them out?

Rigel

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok people im going to see the engine i cant fire it up so is there anything i should look for around the engine before i purchase it? what should i look for? thanks

Rigel

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
You can also call MUSTANG PERFORMANCE CENTER at 2065NE 151 ST in North M.Beach and get a quote from them,they installet a COBRA engine in a bird a wile back,for a guy in North FL.
305-957-7022
MAIC

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Mn12KnightRyder said:
is it a 561 area code?? ill try calling them tomorow would they have a website so i can check them out?

Rigel
oh yeah, sorry i forgot you dont rep the PBC, yeah its a 561 area code.

joseph

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yeah 98+ trans are high quality, a 98 trans should suffice, with the 99+ the way the speedo worked in the transmission changed, but you can always use a speedcal, a 99+ trans just may take more work, but if your gonna have a shop do it, and they know how to, id go with the 99+ there good for around 500hp from what ive read/seen/heard, as are the 98s just minus the better VB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts