TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine was given a nice '97 F-150 for free. The problem is the harmonic balancer sheared off flush with the timing chain cover.

I've been "elected" to do the repair... :xpoh:

In exchange for welding/fabrication labor, so it’s all cool :D

We’re hoping we can pop the front seal out, split the remainder of the balancer and pull it out. If not, I’ll have to pop the cover off. :bawling:

I have the OEM manuals for all the 97 cars on CD, but nothing for the truck lines.

The main question I have is about the Camshaft Synchronizer . Do you really need the special tool to install it, or can you just make sure you align everything up the same way it came out? I mean, it looks like a distributor and as long as you make sure the shaft doesn’t turn before you put it back in, shouldn’t it be aligned correctly?

My other question is: are the similarities between the cars and trucks close enough that the R&R procedures are pretty much interchangeable?

Anyway, any hits or tips would be greatly appreciated. :bowdown:

Oh, and the repair quote from the Ford dealership: $5,400 (they said the crankshaft had to be replace because the bolt sheared off in the end).... :zbash:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
what happened with the cam sensor?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what happened with the cam sensor?
We didn't have to pull the timing chain cover, so nothing got touched. :znanner:

I never did find out if you have to use the special tool to align it.

The only thing that sucked is that I didn't have hardly any labor, so now I'll have to pay him for any fabrication/welding. :bawling: :D

With a good wash/wax/detail the truck will look brand new!!! :beek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts