TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would I find out IF my 1997 Bird has FACTORY keyless entry?? when we bought it the original owner gave us two remotes for an aftermarket keyless entry/alarm system, and now some 6 years later the system is going haywire so we thought we'd investigate the possibility that the car has FACTORY keyless before we go out and purchase a new system.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Look in the trunk, behind the carpet on the driver's side. In front of the fuel cut off switch you will see another black plastic cover. Behind the cover should be the remote keyless entry computer.

I did a quick search looking for pictures but didn't find anything right away, if you have time search for keyless entry and look through the posts, someone has pictures posted relating to programming new key fobs.

I happen to have an aftermarket dealer installed keyless entry set up and do not have that box in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If you don't have a keypad on the outside driver's door you don't have factory keyless entry.

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
If you don't have a keypad on the outside driver's door you don't have factory keyless entry.
Neither of my Cougars have the keypad, but both have keyless entry...Is that a Tbird only option?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have keyless entry on my 97 and I don't have a keypad.

Here is a picture of the programming connector on the RKE cover.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
keypad was dropped in 1996, so 96-97 doesn't have a keypad, or so it seems.

·
Registered
474 Posts
How do you program a fob? Do you have to take it to a dealer, or can you do it in your driveway?

·
Registered
647 Posts
weird, my 96 has a keypad, and works 100% with keyless entry!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Neither of my Cougars have the keypad, but both have keyless entry...Is that a Tbird only option?
Interesting no keypad on some. I think the keypad was one of Fords better ideas that I wish my GM cars had. All my Fords/Lincolns have had a keypad. Nice to have when you have the engine running, get out of the car and the wind blows the door shut. The doors automatically lock in that case on my 95 Tbird. Just punch in the code and the door is open. It is also handy for a cold weather warm up.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
How do you program a fob? Do you have to take it to a dealer, or can you do it in your driveway?
Turn ignition to RUN or ACC. Momentarily jump pins in programming connector located in left rear quarter panel area. All doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode. Press any button on 1st transmitter.
Door locks will lock then unlock to confirm programming. Press any button on 2nd transmitter (up to 4 transmitters total possible). The door locks will lock then unlock to confirm programming. Turn ignition to OFF.
Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Interesting no keypad on some. I think the keypad was one of Fords better ideas that I wish my GM cars had. All my Fords/Lincolns have had a keypad. Nice to have when you have the engine running, get out of the car and the wind blows the door shut. The doors automatically lock in that case on my 95 Tbird. Just punch in the code and the door is open. It is also handy for a cold weather warm up.
You could disable auto lock, then your car locking itself without you in it won't be a problem anymore. It's in the owners manual how to do it.

btw the 97 keyless entry was just the fob, no keypad. I never liked them myself anyway so no loss to me. I dunno about the 96's.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Turn ignition to RUN or ACC. Momentarily jump pins in programming connector located in left rear quarter panel area. All doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode. Press any button on 1st transmitter.
Door locks will lock then unlock to confirm programming. Press any button on 2nd transmitter (up to 4 transmitters total possible). The door locks will lock then unlock to confirm programming. Turn ignition to OFF.
Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.
Does anyone know how to program a new transmitter for a dealer installed alarm?
My cougar does not have RKE, and I bought a few matching FCC number fobs off of ebay and cannot figure out how to program them, and don't want to try unless I know I've got it right. I have tried to hold down the blinking led on the dash but it only changed the way it blinked. I don't want to risk de-programming the one fob I have and not being able to start the car. :confused:

·
Registered
956 Posts
I got me a replacement key fob off eBay. I jumped the two pins and the locks locked and then unlocked. I pressed a key on the fob and the locks cycled again. I then turned the ignition off and it cycled again to confirm the end of programming mode. The fob acts like it is still not programmed. It doesn't control anything. I've done it about ten times now. Any ideas? Are you supposed to leave the pins jumped during the entire process or just until programming mode starts?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
You are just supposed to jump the two pins until it enters in programming mode.

I have never done it with one remote, I don't see why it wouldn't work, I did it with 2 remotes.

You have the FCC ID off the remotes? I can see what my 97 had (I think I can find them, I installed an aftermarket RKE/Alarm/Remote Start setup).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts