TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two months ago I replaced plugs n wires, and on one the right side of the engine, all the spark plug wells had antifreeze in them. Any ideas?

I than proceeded to drive it 3000 miles with no problems. Noe that I can afford repairs what do you all suggest? I was thinking if it is a cracked head im just ganna get the gt40 heads, and a cam, and exhaust etc.. etc..

Also heard it could be intake manifold gaskets, or a gasket somewhere.

Also, if anyone has a windshield laying around let me know, on the drive down here I got a hairline about 9 in long. I am now located in Arizona,

Thanks again for any input.
Have a good one.

1997 Limited Edition
90,000 mi.

Pat

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
gt40 heads and a cam not gonna work on a modular 4.6L.. pushrod 5.0 maybe.. but not the 4.6

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
:leftright :leftright :leftright

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Right side? Passenger or Drivers side?

If drivers side, then it is likely either a cracked coolant crossover where they all crack or cracked around the thermostat due to over tightening. If passenger side, look at where the heater hose goes into the intake, if brass it can leak/come apart, if plastic it can crack.

Most likely source of the coolant leak is the lower intake/plenum.

The state of Arizona is sorta a big one, I live in Tucson and I got a new windshield installed at my house for 145 bucks. I don't remember who installed it, I then found out I had 0 glass (full coverage on an 89 Cougar, hahahaha) and had them reimburse me.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
the plastic intake manifolds are known for cracking and or it could be bad intake gaskets. If your intake is cracked upgrade it to the service replacement with the aluminum crossover. Also for the fact that all of the spark plug holes are covered in coolant tells me that you dont have a cracked head. If the head was cracked it most likely wouldnt crack where coolant could seep into evey coolant hole.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the input, I was farting around today in the engine bay and found out it actually was the thermostat, the more i thought about it the more it made sense.

ex. Sitting up hill for month and half, could explain why coolant was only in the drivers side. But im just glad it isnt something bad.

Also thanks for the info jamesD on the gt40 heads, good to know. Lol. That coulda been a disaster.
Im actually in Douglas but I make trips to Tucson from time to time.. You by chance know how to do jmod bangster?

Pat

*97 birds had the metal intake already, ford got smart that year ^^.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
97 MN12s didn't get the aluminum coolant crossover. I don't think any NPI engines came with them OEM, but the beginning of the PI cars also had all composite intakes.

My 97 was on the second composite intake when it burst on me again. It was a 98+ because it had the COP mounting points. My 2000 Grand Marquis has the composite crossover. Not until 2002 did the PI intake start getting the AL crossover and replacement NPI intakes get it.

I did the JMod on my 97, yeah, it is pretty easy, I still have all the bits for the low HP settings. I can give you hints but if you can turn a wrench and have a drill and the bits, and go that extra step and verify what accumulator pistons you have you will need good clip pliers, it was an easy job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts