TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 97 thubderbird, needed the upper control arms replaced, I went to the parts store and they gave me two different size (thick) I retuned them and went to a second parts store, and the same thing happened, one thin and one thick control arm.

has anyone ran into this problem before? any help would be great, thank you

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
my 97 thubderbird, needed the upper control arms replaced, I went to the parts store and they gave me two different size (thick) I retuned them and went to a second parts store, and the same thing happened, one thin and one thick control arm.

has anyone ran into this problem before? any help would be great, thank you
Front upper control arms?

Are both same brand? Were the "thin" ones the same side from both vendors?

Last time I bought them, I got them from Rock Auto so I could get good ones (Moog or Raybestos). Haven't tried them from an auto parts store.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
There are most definitely 'thick' and 'thin' versions. Rockauto tried to pull that trick on me as well. The thin one in these pics is the TRW part that is like the factory part. The thicker one is the Raybestos Advanced. I'm pretty sure it has Spicer ball joints in it. Rockauto did make good and send out another 'thick' arm and paid for me to ship back the TRW one.

I'm not sure if they are available anymore, but I'd try to seek out the beefier ones. I bought two sets when I got them because I heard about them drying up. (Now that I look, the ACDelco 45D1001/45D1002 are the same as the Raybestos Advanced parts in my pic. The ACDelco 45D3464/45D3465 are the matching lower arms.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
AC Delco seems to have the rights to the Raybestos products. I noticed when shopping for rotors that the raybestos premium slotted rotors with the "S slot" were identical to the more expensive AC Delco units.

Also when I bought my rear upper control arm bushings, the go to ones for the correct style was the Raybestos units, but Rock Auto doesn't carry them anymore, just the AC Delco units, which are the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts