TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Yes it will fit, if you get the exhaust off the car too, since the exhaust path is slightly different on the MarkVIII, and your tbird exhaust would end up hitting the MarkVIII tank. There is really no benefit to the MarkVIII tank though, so unless there is something wrong with yours, I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes mine has a patched hole in it. lol
I am installing a 2.5" dual exhaust in the tbird. If I got the 97 fuel tank would it clear?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
You could get the mark tank and just get the mandrel kit for a mark as well...

·
Super Moderator
17,172 Posts
You could get the mark tank and just get the mandrel kit for a mark as well...
Here's the thing, Mandrel's website lists their system for 93-98 Mark VIIIs, which is a problem since the 93-96 Marks use the same tank as the 92-97 Tbirds, while the 97-98 Marks switched to steel tanks with slightly different routing.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Here's the thing, Mandrel's website lists their system for 93-98 Mark VIIIs, which is a problem since the 93-96 Marks use the same tank as the 92-97 Tbirds, while the 97-98 Marks switched to steel tanks with slightly different routing.
Well, this is news to me and possibly a problem. I grabbed a set of dual pipes from a 97-98 LSC a while back and plan to use them on my bird. Are they 'close enough' or it just won't work? I'll have to get them under the car and see how it lays out. This sucks because I'm about ready to install them. Now I may have to buy more parts. :frown2:

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Putting the stock MarkVIII dual pipes in with a tbird gas tank will be fine. The difference is where the pipes turn out of the tunnel toward the driver's side the MarkVIII pipes turn a little earlier to give it a shallower bend. The pipes may hit the bottom part of the heat shield, but nothing you can't fix with some tweaking and bending of the heat shield. In the case of trying to put the mandrelexhaustsystems.com pipes on the MarkVIII though, the pipes hit the tank.

·
Super Moderator
17,172 Posts
Yep, I think Dan is running LSC pipes as well. The routing is basically the same but the jigs used to make the mandrel kits are based around the plastic tank to tightly hug it with a 2.5" pipe diameter, and that's the problem with the Mark VIII tank which has tighter transitions than the Tbird/Gen I tanks.

Here's how DLF installed mandrels on his Mark - you can see the extra seams where it had to be cut and modified for clearance around the steel tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts