TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have two friends one with a stock 97 mark 8 and the other with a 87 stang 5.0. The stang has 3.73's, shift kit and a cold air intake and maybe someother minor stuff that wouldnt make to much of a differance, not sure. I know stock the mark 8 is listed at 280 hp and the stang is listed at 225 hp. But who will win this race and by how much?

Frank

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
I'll bet 100 on the M8. Its a little heavier than the Mustang, but it has like 80hp and a lot more torque. If the M8 knows how to launch, he will DEFINENTLY win.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
AnthraxBird said:
I'll bet 100 on the M8. Its a little heavier than the Mustang, but it has like 80hp and a lot more torque. If the M8 knows how to launch, he will DEFINENTLY win.
ill take that bet, my money is on the stang. hands down. 3+ car lengths

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
This would be an interesting race. It will depend on the running condition of the mustang. The mustang is significantly lighter and the 3.73's are going to help it a lot in making up the hp difference. The Mark viii is going to need to be driven perfectly to beat a well tuned and maintained mustang.

I don't know which one to guess, my gut says the mustang will win but it will be close.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
88 - 93 LX 5.0 5 spds are capable of mid 14's stock. Auto's are not that much slower. Last time I checked mk viii were 15 cars. That LX has the potential to run in the 14's, I don't think a stock mk viii can. It really depends on how that mustang was maintained. The more I think about it, I am with Keith, 3+ car lengths for the mustang if the mustang is in good running order otherwise it will be close.

·
3,090 Posts
That mustang is 16 years old. If a kid is driving it I betya it has rustholes out the a$$... sure it COULD have ran HIGH 14's... back in 89 (when I was 4!)

God knows what kind of engine problems it has. =)

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the mustang is automatic, he has the b&m hammer shifter. it seems to be in good running order from what i can tell.

Frank

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Mustang will pull it out of the hole and the Mark VIII will have to top end it to have a chance. I only see the stock MK8 as being a mid 15sec car @ 93-94mph.
My money is on the Mustang.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Goody said:
The 87 Mustang (automatic) has no chance against the Mark VIII
My '88 Mustang LX AOD ran a 14.6 @ 93MPH bone stock with 2.73's and everything stock as it came from ford. Car was in excellent tune. 87-88 cars are the strongest running 5.0s from the factory.

My '93 Mark VIII ('93's are the fastest year for Mark VIII's) ran 14.9 @ 93MPH bone stock. Again no mods, well maintained and yes i can drive on the track pretty well. 2nd Gen Mark VIII's are a little slower than the 1st gens so they might be mid-to-low 15 second cars.

My money is on the Mustang. The Mustang is lighter and has more torque (300 vs 285) than the Mark VIII. A well driven Mustang should beat a Mark VIII, but there are always exceptions to the rule. If the kid can't drive and proceeds to bake 2 gears of rubber off the line, then the Mustang is toast. But if he can drive he should take it. The mark 8 is slower getting off the line. It really needes steeper gears. The mustang's low end torque with the 5.0 really gets it moving fast. It's the top end that the Mark 8 begins to come back. Mustangs are good 0-90MPH cars and Mark 8's are good 60-130MPH cars. All that's just based of what i know from owning one of each.

They are two different cars so i'm not gonna go into a comparision on which is better in what areas and such, because they were not designed to compete with each other. But in a straight line, my Mustang is faster than my Mark VIII.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
stang by 2 1/2 car lengths... ill put a case of corona on it...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I will take on any 5.0 Mustang LX or GT AOD (stock) any day of the week and give it a spanking with the Mark VIII. The 5-speed maybe a little different, but an aod stock stang is a dog. I've had both.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Goody said:
I will take on any 5.0 Mustang LX or GT AOD (stock) any day of the week and give it a spanking with the Mark VIII. The 5-speed maybe a little different, but an aod stock stang is a dog. I've had both.:thumbsup:
money talks bs walks, bring it and the title to the southside of chitown and we will settle this once and for all

·
3,090 Posts
My buddy mike has a 94 5.0 GT, 5 speed. Trickflow Intake, Flowmaster exhaust, MSD Ignition and 3.23's. I wasted his a$$! raced from like 45- on one time.. I pulled ahead quite quickly. 0 - 100 was a joke... I got a nice head start, then when I hit 3k in first gear.. I was GOOOOONE. probly 6 car lengths when i hit 106.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Vic, looks like I struck a nerve. Did you get spanked by a Mark VIII and still pissed about it. As you would say, DON'T SING IT BRING IT PUNK A$$. You bring so sorry a$$ to Norman and will treat you like the little beyotch you are.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
hmm never lost to a mark, so no ya didnt strike a nerve.

ive been around these cars for along time, so i can tell ya what a 4200+ pound car vs a 3200lb car can do.

i bet ya i can take that stang to a 13 sec 1/4 time slip, that stock mark, mabey a high 14.

take a look at rule number one and three.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Goody said:
Are we still talking about a stock aod 5.0 lx? 13 sec. timeslip?????
no were talking about the one stated in the first post...

87 stang 5.0. The stang has 3.73's, shift kit and a cold air intake and maybe someother minor stuff
that one and a 13 isnt impossible.

im done with this thread, never to return.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts