TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know the cutoff date or likelyhood that a 97 Mark VIII with a date of 5/97 would have the aluminum/oring accumulators, or the steel/bonded style?

I hope to one day take home this car (I put a deposit on it, waiting on title/lien). I know that my 97 Cougar had the old style (and it was stuck in the bore, had scuffed it, and had a broken spring) and that all 1998 Mark VIIIs had new style, but I thought that 97 it was a mid year change.

The date on my 97 Cougar is 08/96 so it was certainly an early 97.

When I drove it I expected a big different between it and my Cougar, but with the soft shifts it seemed slower (but likely was just less abrupt). I will be doing the JMod as soon as I can, the fluid smelled okay and according to the carfax it has 15,000 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Get the tune updated to the latest stock tune; this cost me money at the dealer, but it helped.

I looked over the history on the black cougar; I took it to the dealer and had them update the stock tune. There was a tsb, and it fixed some of the issues. The jmod was a major upgrade with this tune.

I forgot about this, and recently replaced the stock tranny in my 97 tbird, and it was still sloppy after the swap.

The jmod and 02 tranny didn't help as much as it should have, but the tune I added fixed everything. :) I forgot about the Ford update for the Cougar, or would have known why the upgrade didn't help as much as I expected.

A tune will make a huge difference, but just getting the ford update will help.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already had the new 2-3 accumulator, but it was really wedged in there, I had to work it for awhile to get it out. Still haven't gotten to the 1-2 but expect it to be correct.

The 2-3 retainer was very crooked, and I think the spring was not correctly in there.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not undersatnding how you have updated 2-3 Accumulator & ANY Spring - I thought hot setup was NO 2-3 Spring w/updated 2-3 Accumulator__?

& My guess is yours came with the bad 1-2 Accumulator & was pronbably upgraded at some time being it's still alive - There were very little changes between 96 & EARLY 97 but DD always said half the later 97's he saw were up to 98 specs so...?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it came with the updated accumulator pistons from the factory, I don't think the pan was ever removed not to mention the 1-2 accumulator or the VB. Still had the dipstick stopper and none of the pan bolts had any marks on them.

As it was built I expected the 2-3 lower spring and upper and lower 1-2 springs. The colors match what it should have been.

When I put it back together with new pistons I left out the 2-3 spring and lower 1-2 spring, and put in different F75Z-7F284-BA upper.

And I am not sure what part of the work I did solved my issues, but the 2-3 slowness is gone and it shifts nearly exactly as I want it to. It shifts great for my wifes type of driving (1/4 throttle or less, a lot less) and my driving (WOT every chance).

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Awesome~! - That doesn't "sound like" a 96-97 to me... That sure "sounds like" you have the better 97 with the 98 VB & hopefully the Mech Diode to boot - My thoroughly upgraded 96 that I did with the help of the great guys here drives like yours.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=51637

1 - 6 of 6 Posts