TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a motor and trans swap into my car and I need to now what all needs to be changed in order to make that trans work? and if I cant then I will just put the old one from my bird back in But I don't want to!

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
are you using the mark 8 torque convertor? if so you need the mark flywheel. Otherwise the trans is the same. easy stuff:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you using the mark 8 torque convertor? if so you need the mark flywheel. Otherwise the trans is the same. easy stuff:)
I dropped the whole set up in motor and trans all at once and it's in the car all ready! the pig tail on the trans are different then the one that came out to do I just change the harness mounted t the trans so I can plug in the one coming from in the car?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I think it depends on which PCM you are planning on running. If you are using the Mark VIII PCM and all the Mark VIII’s harness, cabling, etc. you shouldn't need to change anything.

If you are using the T'Bird PCM and the T'Bird's harness, you may have to repin the connector and make sure your solenoids in the transmission are the correct ones for the PCM. (I think… Hopefully some tranny guru's will chime in). :D

ON a side note, how do you plan on getting the Gen II's COP and the IMRC's to work?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
It's a 97 you shouldn't need to repin (that can be questionable on a 97 mark depending on production date) you will need the 95 tcc solenoid however. If the connector on the trans is white you are fine if the connector is black you need to repin.
Alan

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You should be good on the connector on a 97, need the TCC solenoid as Alan said. You also need the MLPS from the 95 Tbird assuming you are using the PCM and wiring from the TBird as Don asks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It had the white connector so i just changed out the wiring that piggybacks on the trans it's self and the thing that mounts to the gear selection had to be changed but thats it! So it looks like everything is good to go! Know is the 97 Mark trans any better like torque converter or internals at all!?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Sometime during the 97 model year, they upgraded them to better internals (98 spec). Unfortunately I don't know when the "change over" date is.

Just a WAG, but with the white connector you probably have an early model, but I am surely not a transmission guru. :(

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
97 case is a little better than the 95 but same as another 97. TC is better than the standard larger one the TBirds get. I don't think there is anything in the internals that are better, might have the improved accumulator pistons, but the stuff like the direct clutch material is the same I THINK.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
It had the white connector so i just changed out the wiring that piggybacks on the trans it's self and the thing that mounts to the gear selection had to be changed but thats it! So it looks like everything is good to go! Know is the 97 Mark trans any better like torque converter or internals at all!?
Make sure you change the tcc or you will fry your pcm.
The markVIII converter is smaller and lighter. It stalls higher and has a higher top rpm rating. Otherwise the internals are pretty much the same. You will need the markVIII flexplate to use it.
Alan

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Make sure you change the tcc or you will fry your pcm.
The markVIII converter is smaller and lighter. It stalls higher and has a higher top rpm rating. Otherwise the internals are pretty much the same. You will need the markVIII flexplate to use it.
Alan
Whats the TCC?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Torque Converter Clutch solenoid.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Torque Converter Clutch solenoid.
I thaught thats what it ment! lol were is it at in the trans and does any one have a pic of it! and why would it cause my pcm to burn up?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The resistance is incorrect. Too much current will pass through your pcm and it will fail. Change the TCC to the one that belongs with that vehicle and PCM.
Alan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts