TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been keeping a lookout, hoping an affordable DOHC might appear within striking distance. I have a purpose for my car and want to optimize it as much as I can. I know I will break it in the process so spare major parts are essential not optional.
Yesterday my son text me that the Mark ViiI I flagged down last Spring (embarrassed him) to get the guy's number was in distress, up for sale on Craigs list. The owner wanted it gone today. I know what he went through trying to keep it on the road as a daily, it had drained him mercilessly going from garage to garage around here preyed upon by vicious commercial experts.
"We must strike while the iron is hot and the quarry is near"I told my son, "but I am broke." He replied "That car is mine."
I keep everything you might need to survive and perform roadside services in my Corolla at all times in winter.
Long story shortened, his mother is pretty mad about the car in her driveway, it is his car now.
It does not take a rocket scientist to shovel out and diagnose a dead battery and a current fault or a sticky air compressor relay. Charged battery, all heaters and suspicious fused link removed from the positive terminal, I whacked the relay with the Rythym Stick.
We had the car gone exactly 71 minutes, title in hand.
We took turns driving it home last night in the snow since the blend door is broken.
I got my DOHC, spare transmission, aluminum goodies and a spare IRS ready to harvest.
The car is a red 97 model with 60k on it from Florida and is in very good condition, it has brake and suspension issues.
It will be so hard to harvest a car that is so nice.
RD

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The way you're describing, it's a perfect car to harvest. Those are a lot of issues you listed, that you found in the first hour. Liable to be more that surface later.

Al

Reactions: dDUBb

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,056 Posts
If you part it out and the HID bulbs and the driver's side mirror heating element are good, if the price is right, I'm your buyer. Depending on the interior color/condition there might be a couple odds-and-ends I might want too. Oh, and the evap tray at the back, if it's nice. LMK. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are encouraging responses and anyone on TCCOA is first on the list for parts. The car is so low mileage that everything appears in good shape.
We all know how much love these cars need, the years take a toll on the gaskets and rubber but it is a sound rig overall.
As is it could be an good car for somebody with time and knowledge.
The price was right. Anything we pass on will be a fair exchange.

·
Registered
1994 Black T-Bird 4.6 DOHC TR-3650
49 Posts
You said: « It will be so hard to harvest a car that is so nice » . If I was you, I would rebuilt it if there is no rust and corrosion on the body. So rare with low miles...

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The title is from Florida, and I am told this is the first winter it has seen outside of Florida.
I found no rust on the car at all and very few minor body scratches or dents. I have not been under the car.

We did consider your thought but I have hundreds of my hours into my Mercury and I cant sell it, nobody wants these cars intact any more.

We also considered swapping the 2 valve Mercury engine and transmission into the Lincoln.
if someone wanted a the entire chassis for enough money I would do that That would save the buyer shipping, they could drive it home or we could.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am very happy to have found my DOHC at this time, any longer and I know I would be going down PI intake swap road. I have everything but a manifold from an 04 GT, and that car only had 30k on it. The TB and Elbow, box and tube look brand new. Thankfully, I can resell those and not put any money (more) into my old iron NPI 2v.
The Teksid block DOHC engine we now have in posession is another matter altogether. It makes sense to me to spend a little money and effort on the new engine.
First though, we need to pull the old one and install the new one and get it to a point of reliability we can live with.
Our 2v runs very well but has not been tuned yet, and at this point it won't be. The car has been perfectly reliable since sorting out the misfire and the j-mod. The new gear set, Trac lock, shaft, and force lube all worked out great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I suggest you to keep your papers street legals without inspection, and someone in this site will probably want to buy it. Infortunately, I am from Canada so it will be impossible to cross the border for a while...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input Dantb94.

We have decided to harvest the car, not sell it intact, sorry.

We need the engine, transmission, driveshaft, and the complete IRS assembly with the drivetrain parts for our car.

All else will be up for sale and posted in the for sale section of this site sometime this Spring. We may also put the items on ebay if TCCOA members are not interested and parts do not move quickly.

Thank you,
RD

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know why the duplicates appear, but my guess is that when I specified thumbnail, it made copies. My incompetence and a crappy phone.
RD

·
Registered
49 Posts
Serious? You want to dismantle that car?

·
Super Moderator
7,880 Posts
That would be a damn shame to part out a rust free car that nice! I would keep that as a driver and find one that is beat up or rusted out to scavenge your parts from.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,568 Posts
Keep it! (y)

That would be a damn shame to part out a rust free car that nice! I would keep that as a driver and find one that is beat up or rusted out to scavenge your parts from.
Agreed!

Joe

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a MARK VIII just like yours and parted it out. It was so badly rusted I can see the pavement while driving ! But your car... It is from Florida, that means no rust under it. Looks like never crashed. Don't get me wrong please, and if you have any questions about electrical or other things, I have all the manuals from FORD to answer you. They are many others who can do better than me as well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts