TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You have to look at the axle code on the sticker on the door. You can also crawl under the car to look at the tag on the pumpkin. Look for something like "3 27" or "3L27". Those codes would represent 3.27. The "L" stands for Trak-loc. The code on the door will be a single digit and you will have to look it up.

·
Registered
744 Posts
it will be 3.27

and like tinman said your gonna need to figure out if you have trac lok or not. And when you find out that you do not, and then you realize it was a $80 factory option you'll be pretty much :bangwall:

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
wow... traction locks were 80 dollars... man why the hell did they just not put them on stock. GRRRRR And knowing I could have had one for 80 bux but instead I've gotta pay to get all the clutch paks and parts and the gears just pisses me off :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Oh yea. It locks, there are two black marks in the driveway where i did a power brake test to see......

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ty Whutaker said:
Oh yea. It locks, there are two black marks in the driveway where i did a power brake test to see......
That really doesn't mean much...i have an open rear, it say's it on the door sticker, it says on the case label, and it when you lifrt the rear tires off the ground and spin one, the otehr spins the other way-it's garuanteed to be an open diff. and guess what---i lay two tracks 95% of the time

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
yep the real test is to put one tire in the grass and ht eohter on pavement and get on it. If the one tire spins then you have an open diffy. Sorry to say man that IRS can get 2 marks on even traction surfaces. But when it comes to 2 different surfaces it sux.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as i understand, when both tires are off the ground, even with most limited slip rear ends, the tires will spin in opposite directions. the limited slip mechanism requires a bit of tourqe to lock-up.
as it is, i haven't looked at the tab, but i am pretty sure this one is limited slip. there is such a difference in performance between an open and limited slip rear end when accelerating through corners, power braking and doing burn-outs in general.
thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
LOL, ok, so which one of my neighbors lawns should I test my traction loc on? :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ty Whutaker said:
as i understand, when both tires are off the ground, even with most limited slip rear ends, the tires will spin in opposite directions. the limited slip mechanism requires a bit of tourqe to lock-up.
the trac lok should be locked at all times, unless on the ford 8.8 w/ standard amount of clutches a force of greater then 20 ft/lbs is created between each axel.

do a search, there are several threads on this topic.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Ty just because you got 2 tires in a burnout does NOT mean you have a t-lok. I promise you. I can get 2 tire burn outs too and I have an open dif. I have left 50ft burnouts before. 53ft 8.25 inches to be exact. And that was with both tires. I have a open dif I'm not saying you don't have a t-lok as its possible but I'm just saying that you can't tell from burn outs. The only way to be sure is to check the door jam or the tag on the rear dif. just look at the axle code on your door jam and then look up the code. I know there is a list somewhere on this site. And just to prove my point here are a couple of pics of what i left at the empty parking lot one EARLY morning. Went back and got the pix. you can see when the car shifted into 2nd.

and here is one just for the hell of it. Saw this one at school one day.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts

You've got to be kidding me. Wonder how it runs after it rains into that water collector. :D

And to stay on topic. Yea, gotta check the tags to know if its trac-loc or not. there is a way to test when the wheels are up, but the car does have to be in neutral. If you lift the rear end, and leave it in park then when you turn one rear wheel the other one is going to turn the opposite direction. Try it in neutral. But the tag is definitely the easiest (accurate) way to tell.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
trav I swear I double took that olds... I was like wtf is that?!?! that couldn't be what I thought it was and turned back again and sure enough. I had to run back to my car and get my phone just to take the picture. I was seriously lawling :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guys i have looked for the code decoder and it said i had 4.10 gears. In my door sticker it says the axle code is W5, but i dont believe it. I've been searchin like a lost dog, but cant find a thing. I crawled under my car. I found the number 8.8 on the left side of the pumpkin and the code : F4LW on the right. Someone tell me how to check online exactly. I have a 97 LX 4.6 L.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts