Rear decklid spoiler with integral high-mount stop lamp

-Miller

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
perhaps so, at any rate whatever I said in it was accurate about my '97 sport...

edit: hmmm looking back through it I didn't actually get around to describing mine.

Mines got the JJJJ spring code on the door jam certification label, 16" sport wheels, sport shocks, sport springs, larger front brakes, the 3rd brake light delete on the package shelf, spoiler with integral 3rd brake light, stiffer sway bar and that's it off the top of my head... I forget if there is anything else different?

Short of the car still having it's window sticker or build sheet you have to check to see if it has what most sports got. Not all 97's got the same stuff apparently? The JJJJ spring code on the certification label is a pretty sure sign (never heard of one having those and not being a sport) but not all sports got the JJJJ springs, or so it seems.

As far as driving it my '97 has a much stiffer ride then my '89 did. Pulling out of parking lots with a good bump to them are to be taken slowly where as i'd just plow ahead with the 89's cushy suspension.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Speaking of which, has anyone ever figured out the difference (if any) between the "JJJJ" code and the "JJEE" code?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Not a clue, but I saw an, um "interesting" 97' Cougar with weird spring codes and sport rims on ebay, let me go get the link. It's a V6 "Marlin Edition" lol How sad, a fishy smelling cat.

Kind of ties in with my last reply in that "calling all sports" thread were I saw a "regional edition" Cougar that looked like a V6 sport that was "edition-alized" Maybe the aftermarket new car retrofitters had an option available to them with sport features but it wasn't a "sport package", or the ones destined for these shops get different springs then most sports did?

edit: OK, here's the stinky cat! Spring codes look to be CCMM!? It's kind of hard to tell.

It looks to have the big brakes up front and the brake light delete on the package shelf, which makes sense being as the lower rear window is covered by the cloth top.

This is the second V6 looking "regional sport edition" i've seen. I guess it makes sense for the spring codes to be different being as it's a V6. I just don't know if that's what a "regular" V6 sport would have gotten. The only V6 sports I have seen are these two coachbuilder conversions. I think they liked the fuel sipping V6 that these kind of end customers seem to want yet the sporty look and features lent itself to the coachbuilder conversions.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Not a clue, but I saw an, um "interesting" 97' Cougar with weird spring codes and sport rims on ebay, let me go get the link. It's a V6 "Marlin Edition" lol How sad, a fishy smelling cat.

Kind of ties in with my last reply in that "calling all sports" thread were I saw a "regional edition" Cougar that looked like a V6 sport that was "edition-alized" Maybe the aftermarket new car retrofitters had an option available to them with sport features but it wasn't a "sport package", or the ones destined for these shops get different springs then most sports did?

edit: OK, here's the stinky cat! Spring codes look to be CCMM!? It's kind of hard to tell.

It looks to have the big brakes up front and the brake light delete on the package shelf, which makes sense being as the lower rear window is covered by the cloth top.

This is the second V6 looking "regional sport edition" i've seen. I guess it makes sense for the spring codes to be different being as it's a V6. I just don't know if that's what a "regular" V6 sport would have gotten. The only V6 sports I have seen are these two coachbuilder conversions. I think they liked the fuel sipping V6 that these kind of end customers seem to want yet the sporty look and features lent itself to the coachbuilder conversions.
Ryan (CougarGuy04) has a 96 with V6 and sport package including the JJJJ spring code, larger front brakes, and spoiler.

-Miller

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I didn't know that. So CCMM must be something specific to the fleetsales ones that where destined for the coachbuilders to be modified?

I forget what my '89 LS V6 had but I don't think those are the normal V6 springs are they? Perhaps the coachbuilders got the "cushy sport" option from fleetsales. lol

The 97' ford CD manual has all the spring codes and their corrosponding Ford part number in the certification label decode chart, but I don't know what's actually different about them.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Really ?

From your post above:

"Larger front disc brake rotors "

That is inaccurate - not all sports came with them.

And I agree on that point and that not all came with spoilers. I removed the information on bushings and stabalizer bars, equipment that has never been proven to have ever existed. I should also say my last post was in error, I thought he was linking to the Tech Article.

-Miller

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Ryan (CougarGuy04) has a 96 with V6 and sport package including the JJJJ spring code, larger front brakes, and spoiler.

-Miller
Almost. Mine has the larger front brakes (found this out the first time the brakes were done) and the spoiler. My springs aren't sport spring though. I need to check the spring code.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Almost. Mine has the larger front brakes (found this out the first time the brakes were done) and the spoiler. My springs aren't sport spring though. I need to check the spring code.
Woops thought you had said the spring code matched too.

-Miller

·
Registered
21 Posts
yup mine is a 96 4.6 with the bigger rotors and spolier and 3rd brake light i found this out when i did the brakes yesterday cost a ****load more then the everyday setup lol

·
Registered
483 Posts
me no need that stuff.i got the goods... door codes lol.theses aren't cuda's, lol ...yet.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
yup mine is a 96 4.6 with the bigger rotors and spolier and 3rd brake light i found this out when i did the brakes yesterday cost a ****load more then the everyday setup lol
thats funny when i did brakes for the first time it was the exact opposite. the bigger sport rotors were cheaper then the regular nonsport ones.

my 96 sport has smaller brakes, no spoiler but all the other stuff.

in 96 the spoiler was a separate option, separate from the sport option it got included in the sport package in 97

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
me no need that stuff.i got the goods... door codes lol.theses aren't cuda's, lol ...yet.
Well good for you, the orginal poster on the other hand wanted to know how to indentify if a '97 has the sport package or not. One way to nail that down is to look at the spring codes on the certification label. It has nothing to do with collectability or rarity. Where did you come up with that crap from? lol :confused:

And by the way I remember when Cuda's were just another 10~15 yr old car worth a couple of grand. lol The guys buying them back then still cared what the car was equipped with from the factory just because.

I tried doing a search and could not find the answer. Well what is the difference in Sport and LX? How do you tell the difference by looking at and test driving a car?
Thanksh
How would you suggest he tell? how would you be able to tell if the car shipped from the factory with the sport package or not? How would you tell if it still has it, or if its since been modified?

The ways I know of are to check what's actually on the car, check the spring codes on the certification label, possibly check the build sheet if it's still under the trunk liner, or look at the window sticker if the car still has it. Your suggestions?

·
Registered
519 Posts
me thinks the sports have rear disc brakes too. im not sure if they all do but I have 3 4.6 sports 94 95 96 (or have had the other black 94 is totaled) and they all had the disc brakes in the rear. the white 94 i have has rear drum and is not sport model.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.