TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Be very careful using lubricants to get hoses over coolant spigots. They were not allowed in the Ford production plants, due to the potential for hoses popping off under pressure. There was a special non-petroleum fluid used (whose name I cannot remember), with the option of using water. Personally, I have always found spit to work well, even though it is a bit gross!

Reactions: Grog6

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
They tell you to use coolant in the manual, which is even more disgusting, lol!

BTW, a drop of oil smeared on the surface will never cause a clamped hose to come off, if for no other reason, it absorbs into the rubber.

Al

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
Tap water has a shitload of dissolved minerals in it, which will settle out and cause problems.
Distilled water is great unless your water passages are chemically clean, like a freshly rbuilt Cobra, lol.
(Pure water can react with clean aluminum.)
Our cars typically wont be that clean inside.
Any additive will kill that effect, like water wetter or antifreeze.
I think I read ablot the cobra on the same site as the dude that supposedly used a water hose to get the dregs out of his oil system. :)

·
Registered
97 Ford Thunderbird LX Sport 4.6L V8
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Coolant level still very slightly dropping day by day, haven't had to top up yet. No overheating and no sign of leaks on intake manifold, around oil filter area, heater hoses, where I can see under the intake behind the alternator in the front part of valley. No drops under the car. Have checked it running and not running. Called the shop that previous owner used and they said I can mix the Prestone universal All Makes with Ford Gold or anything else without issues as they do that (seen alot of other info saying the same and some saying don't), but I don't really want to do that and risk clogging the system.

Will have to top up again in a few days likely, maybe a half quart again, low coolant light not on yet as its about a 1/4" below the cold fill line when car is cold.

As I'm still not 100% certain that its Ford Gold or a Prestone all makes universal type in the system and not wanting to mix will topping it up strictly with distilled water for a while be ok?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Sorry to say, but there is a leak. A large piece of cardboard under the car should pick it up. Coolant leaks can be sneaky, I needed a mirror to see the dripping coolant at the left rear corner of my old manifold. That was after I found a spot on the driveway. Mine was leaking about like yours, and there definitely was a spot every day.

I would not worry about mixing coolant types as you will be draining it soon anyway. Distilled water to top it off for now is fine.

Al

Reactions: ThunderStangLX

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Adding water as a top-off is fine as long as your level of freezing protection is good for wherever you live. We're still having overnight temps in the 30s here in Michigan.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Coolant level still very slightly dropping day by day, haven't had to top up yet. No overheating and no sign of leaks on intake manifold, around oil filter area, heater hoses, where I can see under the intake behind the alternator in the front part of valley. No drops under the car. Have checked it running and not running. Called the shop that previous owner used and they said I can mix the Prestone universal All Makes with Ford Gold or anything else without issues as they do that (seen alot of other info saying the same and some saying don't), but I don't really want to do that and risk clogging the system.

Will have to top up again in a few days likely, maybe a half quart again, low coolant light not on yet as its about a 1/4" below the cold fill line when car is cold.

As I'm still not 100% certain that its Ford Gold or a Prestone all makes universal type in the system and not wanting to mix will topping it up strictly with distilled water for a while be ok?
If you're not seeing any wetness or leaks of coolant, have you considered and checked the following:
1) Maybe you're leaking tiny amounts of coolant into the motor oil, through a head gasket leak? Check the oil to see if there's coolant in it.
2) The pressurized coolant reservoir might have a micro-crack or micro-separation where they're glued together and be leaking tiny amounts of coolant/steam when under the pressure of driving. But when parked, the pressure reduces and the crack tightens up enough to prevent liquid coolant from escaping.
3) Leaking heater core creating an unseen little puddle in the cabin.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I see conflicting recommendations to ground, and never to ground a radiator.
Then why is this recommended for the heater core when a heater core is replaced? A heater core is, essentially, a small radiator.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Then why is this recommended for the heater core when a heater core is replaced? A heater core is, essentially, a small radiator.
Hell, I dunno. I have an extra ground wire that came with my Big 3 kit that I thought of using for the radiator, but then I saw recommendations to never ground a radiator.

Al

·
Super Moderator
11,175 Posts
If these cars lose coolant, 99% of the time it's the oil filter adapter.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts