TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a clean 60k miles 97 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 and really like it but do not love the transmission manners and shifting much. There seems to be many articles on the jmod but not finding the drill chart. Any direction would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The j-mod is nice, but it won't eliminate that "dead spot" after the 3rd gear shift when the TC is not locked. It's more noticeable on an incline, and when light on the throttle. More aggressive throttle to push the 2-3 shift up to 30+ MPH helps.

Al

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
A tune, to change shifting and TC lockup points should fix that up. Or so I hear anyway.

I just live with the dead spot. Or give it more throttle in 2nd to force the 2-3 shift to 30 MPH. More RPM always helps. Can't see spending $300+ for a tune just to remedy that.

Al

·
Super Moderator
12,858 Posts
Just do the J-mod. The medium (middle) setting is preferred. With a stock converter it will hit hard though. There are work arounds by leaving the 2-3 spring in or something like that. I' sure others will clarify this for me.

Swap the stock converter for a 2,800 stall Marauder converter in the car and you'll be really happy. It will soften the 1-2 shift without the need to leave the 2-3 accumulator spring in. The Marauder converter and the middle J-mod setting on a relatively stock car are a match made in heaven.

Reactions: Rodeo Joe
1 - 7 of 7 Posts