TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am new to the site and realize the golden age of Thunderbird performance parts and even many stock parts is gone. I purchased a black LX with 60k last month and wanted to make it a little faster and a bit better handling. Does anyone have a strut tower brace or perhaps know of someone who does? Also considering underdrive pulley option. So far i have replaced all the accumulator pistons and covers, and rebuilt the valve body. Thanks to the tranny upgrade designer at Superior Fairbanks for walking me through the kit since i bought the wrong one but it worked out amazing with his help. I am going to do the PI intake swap and cams soon. Any other reasonable performance suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
If you're going to do PI cams, I'd suggest you go with the full PI head swap. You're literally an extra 8 bolts (4 bolts each side) away from swapping the heads. If you want all the ponies you can get, get them all with a complete PI head swap.

Strut tower brace, many people will say that they're not worth it. I don't have one, so I don't know. As far as bracing goes, supercoupeperformance.com is the place to go if:

1. You don't know how to weld
2. Can't find them second hand
3. Don't mind paying an exuberant amount of money

As far as bracing goes, you'll want the pinion brace, torsion brace (controversial), LECBs (Lower Engine Control Braces), and rear shock brace.

However!

Before you start doing any of those bracing to the car, we will all highly recommend that you replace all the suspension components first if you have not yet done that. Replace all OEM rotting rubber with polyurethane or Delrin wherever possible.

The under-drive pulleys, again, try and find them used. Otherwise, go to SCPs website.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,955 Posts
I think ALL bracing is basically snake oil. Only things that will observably improve handling on these are tires, springs, shocks, and sway bars.

I also disagree about the PI headswap. You get all the pony’s of a stock PI engine with only cams and intake. The heads give you a compression bump with a few more, but say goodbye to running 87 and you absolutely need a tune to prevent pinging with the PI combustion chambers

Underdrive pulleys don’t do much of anything either, I used to think there might have been a minor mpg improvement with them but I think I may have deluded myself. If you get them do not buy the ones that piggyback the stock balancer, and I agree buy used, because there are much more substantive things you can spend the full msrp on

·
Super Moderator
5,262 Posts
However!

Before you start doing any of those bracing to the car, we will all highly recommend that you replace all the suspension components first if you have not yet done that. Replace all OEM rotting rubber with polyurethane or Delrin wherever possible.
👍👆

Delrin preferably, Poly if you're trying to pinch pennies.

What good will it do to cross brace inside the subframe, if the subframe to control arm is loose as a goose!

RwP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts