TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
97 thunderbird v6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 97 thunderbird v6 for 1400. 97,666 miles, no lies. After buying i stop to fill up the tank and there’s a gas leak when it’s topped off.

They removed the bulbs for the check engine and airbag. Have the clock spring code and cruise control doesnt work, Ive seen that it’s likely the connector.

My real issue is i can’t get scanners to read the check engine. Went to the three auto parts stores and they couldn’t get it scanned. Bought my own scanner and same. Pins on obd look ok.

I purchased a test light and a multimeter. Both ground pins, power pin and wires ok. Three pins going to computer and the wires tested, all ok.

Removed the computer, pins look ok. Opened and everything looks normal.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,299 Posts
I don't think the PCM monitors that. My guess is the air bag module threw the code.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
9,251 Posts
He did say bulbs for the check engine and airbag were removed also! :)

Joe

·
Administrator
14,547 Posts
Probably the airbag control module. It's a light blue box that sits under the dash on the passengers side. Mine went out. I bought NOS to replace it but you can find one in a bone yard.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
For the fuel leak, it might be the fuel tank filler vent hose. I had the same issue on my '97. I needed 2 ft of 5/8" dia fuel hose, and had to lower the tank a few inches to access it. Best to do it when the tank is not totally full.

To check it, jack the front end up really high with a full tank, and climb under the rear of the car. The hose on mine had a hole in it that you could not see from below.

Al

Reactions: Doobie and GreenT

·
Administrator
14,547 Posts
Do you think that’s why i can’t scan?
No. Most likely That’s what’s causing your airbag light to blink a code.

·
Registered
97 thunderbird v6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Highly doubtful.
No. Most likely That’s what’s causing your airbag light to blink a code.
I’d read that the clock spring code tends to be the connection for the clock spring coming loose and this will also disable the cruise control🤷‍♂️

Really just concerned for getting it to scan, I’ve put over 600 miles on it already but I’ll never be comfortable in it until i can figure that out.

I try to go cruising on the weekend after messing with or fixing something, I’d rather it break on the weekend cruising to nowhere than on the 5 minutes to work during the week. My first car was a 92 Camaro, only had for like a year before my mom burnt it down lol reminds me of the feeling of driving that.

I don’t consider the Camaro as mine so this bird is my second car. My first being an 86 Pontiac Parisienne. Bought in 2009 for $600. Transmission went out about two months ago so I’m promoting it to my toy/project. The bird is meant to be my new a-b. I’m just trying to figure this out on my own before i gotta book an appointment with ford.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Since you've put 600 miles on it it sounds like at least you were able to get it to pass the state safety inspection and get it registered. And you've checked the Data Link Connector and found pins 4, 5 and 16 test normal so it sounds like the system is serviceable. The only thing that comes to mind regarding not getting a scan tool response is the car battery, although I would expect this more on a newer vehicle than a '97.

·
Super Moderator
11,299 Posts
If you can find a spare 96-97 V6 PCM (any catch code will work) you can always try swapping it in to rule it out. It's not unheard of but it's not impossible for it to be the cause.

If you disconnect the battery to reset the KAM does the SES light come on immediately or only after a bit of driving?

·
Registered
97 thunderbird v6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since you've put 600 miles on it it sounds like at least you were able to get it to pass the state safety inspection and get it registered. And you've checked the Data Link Connector and found pins 4, 5 and 16 test normal so it sounds like the system is serviceable. The only thing that comes to mind regarding not getting a scan tool response is the car battery, although I would expect this more on a newer vehicle than a '97.
So I don’t have an emissions check where i live. Battery was one of the things i tried, the battery was bad so i replaced it.

·
Registered
97 thunderbird v6
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you can find a spare 96-97 V6 PCM (any catch code will work) you can always try swapping it in to rule it out. It's not unheard of but it's not impossible for it to be the cause.

If you disconnect the battery to reset the KAM does the SES light come on immediately or only after a bit of driving?
So the check engine light usually takes a few minutes to come back on.

After driving in the rain today i do not believe my abs works. Hit the brakes hard and the tires just locked up. I’ve got all disc brakes. No abs light on the dash, replaced all the bulbs though when i went looking for check engine bulb.

·
Super Moderator
11,299 Posts
Does the car have ABS? All 97s got 4 wheel disc but ABS was still an option. How many brake lines come from the master cylinder - 2 or 4? What's the brake code on the label on the door jamb?

Where are you located? You might not be too far from me; I'd be willing to lend a hand with the troubleshooting - for whatever it's worth.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts