TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
97 thunderbird v6
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I
Does the car have ABS? All 97s got 4 wheel disc but ABS was still an option. How many brake lines come from the master cylinder - 2 or 4? What's the brake code on the label on the door jamb?

Where are you located? You might not be too far from me; I'd be willing to lend a hand with the troubleshooting - for whatever it's worth.
I live in sw Ohio! Took a picture of the label. Guessing no abs!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,974 Posts
My 97's original eec died; if it's an fte1 catchcode, those are known to go bad. You can find the catchcode easily by opening the hood and looking for a small sticker on the pass side, slightly under the edge of the weatherstripping that seals the back of the hood.

·
Registered
97 thunderbird v6
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My 97's original eec died; if it's an fte1 catchcode, those are known to go bad. You can find the catchcode easily by opening the hood and looking for a small sticker on the pass side, slightly under the edge of the weatherstripping that seals the back of the hood.
What is a catch code?

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,310 Posts
Yeah, a brake code of 1 is no ABS. IIRC 4 is ABS.

Catch code is the tune on the PCM. Minor variances in how the car runs, largely imperceptible to most drivers.

Well, if ever you find yourself up by Cleveland, I'm not far from it. :)

·
Registered
97 thunderbird v6
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Yeah, a brake code of 1 is no ABS. IIRC 4 is ABS.

Catch code is the tune on the PCM. Minor variances in how the car runs, largely imperceptible to most drivers.

Well, if ever you find yourself up by Cleveland, I'm not far from it. :)
I’m actually up there regularly. Just in a work truck lol i deliver restaurant supplies so I’m all over the place.

So the car also will shift weird sometimes like shifting down then back up or I’ve been sitting at a light a few times with my foot on the brakes and the car will jerk forward like i tapped on the gas. I tried Reddit and a guy got me through testing all the pins and wires. Said those issues sound like the tps, installing new one tomorrow.

Trying to not leave anything out. Coolant was nasty and battery terminals were corroded and poorly cleaned, figure the car sat for a few years then these people got it from their grandma for $400, covered up what they couldn’t figure out, and sold it to me for $1400. I replaced the battery, flushed and cleaned cooling system, and replaced the plugs, wires, ignition coil, air filter, pcv valve, and two oil changes with filters. First just generic oil then drained after like 150 miles and filled with motor craft, just sort of flush. Does motor craft actually matter? Didn’t know about till after the first oil change.

Even though i got scammed i feel Ill get my moneys worth. It’s certainly in better hands with me than the people i got it from, hopefully the bird appreciates it. Would’ve been an acceptable deal at a grand though🙃

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,811 Posts
I’m actually up there regularly. Just in a work truck lol i deliver restaurant supplies so I’m all over the place.

So the car also will shift weird sometimes like shifting down then back up or I’ve been sitting at a light a few times with my foot on the brakes and the car will jerk forward like i tapped on the gas. I tried Reddit and a guy got me through testing all the pins and wires. Said those issues sound like the tps, installing new one tomorrow.

Trying to not leave anything out. Coolant was nasty and battery terminals were corroded and poorly cleaned, figure the car sat for a few years then these people got it from their grandma for $400, covered up what they couldn’t figure out, and sold it to me for $1400. I replaced the battery, flushed and cleaned cooling system, and replaced the plugs, wires, ignition coil, air filter, pcv valve, and two oil changes with filters. First just generic oil then drained after like 150 miles and filled with motor craft, just sort of flush. Does motor craft actually matter? Didn’t know about till after the first oil change.

Even though i got scammed i feel Ill get my moneys worth. It’s certainly in better hands with me than the people i got it from, hopefully the bird appreciates it. Would’ve been an acceptable deal at a grand though🙃
I'm sure you can figure it out. Just need to work thru it all.

Reactions: Doobie

·
Super Moderator
12,974 Posts
The transmission may be on its way out; if the circuit to the TC clutch leaks, it will engage. Start saving for a rebuild, and a later 02 core to rebuild.

·
Registered
97 thunderbird v6
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'm sure you can figure it out. Just need to work thru it all.
I’m just trying to avoid taking it to a shop, i like fixing my cars myself. With a Haynes/Chiltons guide nearby lol

The transmission may be on its way out; if the circuit to the TC clutch leaks, it will engage. Start saving for a rebuild, and a later 02 core to rebuild.
This scares me. I’m already saving for the transmission for my Pontiac, which will be happening in the next few weeks just need to get quotes and get paid lol.

My 86 Pontiac Parisienne transmission gave out at 155k miles two months ago. The bird only has 97k miles presumably…

I understand mileage isn’t everything though

·
Super Moderator
11,310 Posts
At 97k and being a 3.8 I also lean towards TPS more than trans failure, at least until all the electrical stuff is ironed out. If it is a TPS with voltage issues the PCM may be catching it and throwing the code. It should be <1v at idle, >4.5V at WOT and ramp up evenly as you open it.

·
Super Moderator
12,974 Posts
Sorry; I tend to destroy transmissions. :) But a kit is only $150, and maybe $50 of other parts, and 60 for fluid. :)

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
SuperNewbie
3,811 Posts

Erratic shifting could also be a bad MLPS (neutral safety switch).

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

·
Super Moderator
11,310 Posts
Ruling out a PCM problem means swapping in a known good unit (or trying to read the codes on your current PCM in another MN12 that has no problems doing the same currently). But it sounds like that's where we're at in order to help direct attention for future troubleshooting in the right direction.

·
Registered
97 thunderbird v6
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So i was thinking maybe i just order a new computer from auto zone. $120/$60 core. If it fixes it great, if not i just return it. There are two different choices, one where calibration # ends in t’s and one that ends in f’s. Any idea what the difference is or which i would need?

·
SuperNewbie
3,811 Posts
So i was thinking maybe i just order a new computer from auto zone. $120/$60 core. If it fixes it great, if not i just return it. There are two different choices, one where calibration # ends in t’s and one that ends in f’s. Any idea what the difference is or which i would need?

View attachment 50187 View attachment 50186 View attachment 50187
View attachment 50186
You have to look on the computer itself. Go pull a used one from the junkyard. But in my opinion I doubt somehow that this is a computer problem.

·
SuperNewbie
3,811 Posts
Double check the fuses, do a visual check of the wiring under the dash.
Considering that the seller messed with all the things you mentioned, they may have messed with something else. If I can find a minute I'll grab my 97 electrical manual and post pictures of everything related to the OBD2 connector. I'd suggest checking to make sure everything else in the car works. Sometimes other problems tell a story.

·
Super Moderator
12,974 Posts
I would pull the pass kick panel off, remove the glovebox, and look behind it, and follow the wiring from the connector over to the eec. IIRC, it's a bundle that going in right near the eec connector. Make sure the dash wiring isn't hacked up.
Disconnect the battery first, if the airbag wiring has been dinked with, you want to know.

Reactions: supergordo
21 - 40 of 45 Posts