TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, did you do a search? Well, no, help me out here, I'm going in for a new knee this tuesday and was looking for something good to think about. I was just wondering what the differences are between the two, engine, suspension, interior, acessory goodies etc.:(

·
W&S Motorsports
161 Posts
I know, did you do a search? Well, no, help me out here, I'm going in for a new knee this tuesday and was looking for something good to think about. I was just wondering what the differences are between the two, engine, suspension, interior, acessory goodies etc.:(
Hey I know that you were thinking 97LX Sport to 97Mark VII but I have been checking into changing from a 97 LX Sport to a 98 Mark LSC in the near future.

These are some of the differences between 97 LX Sport and 98 LSC with the LSC having the following:
1. 32V Al block engine with steel liners. Makes a bit more power and could be lighter. Intake runner controls may need refurb.
2. Full dual exhaust system on the LSC
3. Trans O/D piston bigger I am not sure if the Mechnanical Diode was done in 98 and drivline RPM should be higher, PCM will be callibrated accordingly.
4. Air Suspension that becomes leaky after about 10 years. New air pumps are scarce. Coil kits are available and some owners have converted their cars to coils
5. HID headlights supposedly 2.7x more light output and Neon tailight bridge.
6. A bit more electronics in the console + wood.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hey I know that you were thinking 97LX Sport to 97Mark VII but I have been checking into changing from a 97 LX Sport to a 98 Mark LSC in the near future.

These are some of the differences between 97 LX Sport and 98 LSC with the LSC having the following:
1. 32V Al block engine with steel liners. Makes a bit more power and could be lighter. Intake runner controls may need refurb.
2. Full dual exhaust system on the LSC
3. Trans O/D piston bigger I am not sure if the Mechnanical Diode was done in 98 and drivline RPM should be higher, PCM will be callibrated accordingly.
4. Air Suspension that becomes leaky after about 10 years. New air pumps are scarce. Coil kits are available and some owners have converted their cars to coils
5. HID headlights supposedly 2.7x more light output and Neon tailight bridge.
6. A bit more electronics in the console + wood.

Good Luck.
Just FYI: The HID lights are impossible to buy now even from Ford. If a light burns out, your options are a used one or two new HALOGEN headlamp assemblies from the ford dealer for about $500 (discount dealer price).

There are excellent aftermarket air suspension vendors, but for around $400 you can get a quick strut kit from Monroe and have coils.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Just FYI: The HID lights are impossible to buy now even from Ford. If a light burns out, your options are a used one or two new HALOGEN headlamp assemblies from the ford dealer for about $500 (discount dealer price).

There are excellent aftermarket air suspension vendors, but for around $400 you can get a quick strut kit from Monroe and have coils.
Which is why you get a newer MK VIII with clear lenses and install aftermarket HID's. Easy replacements and cheap. ($120 for a decent set on ebay.) Light output is VASTLY improved. Definitely the way to go if you live in somewhere dark. Hell, they're useful in the city, too.

I'd have a mark, except... the thing is-- the styling and the air suspension. Only thing that turns me off from mk VIII's. I hate that weird indention the marks have in the sides, and I'm not fond of the nose.

The interiors are fantastic.

·
W&S Motorsports
161 Posts
Thanks for the souce of replacement HID. The 97-98 with the larger lens is good for me.

I find Mark Styling is 'unusual' with the indentation on the sides probably used to stiffen the side panels and can be made less obvious by chosing a darker paint scheme. The nose I find is a little unusual and is 'out there in your face' sort of a way but that seems to be the trend these days ( look at the newer VW , Audi , Acura ) and one can tone it down by getting the LSC which has the painted grille surround.
The air suspension is a big maintainance issue but I like the idea of an 'easily' adjustable ride height. How it rides is another matter as a friend does not like it.
The 32V Al engine even with forged crank, dual exhaust, high RPM drivetrain is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts