TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 97 at the top of the windshield there's no rubber seal. It goes glass, gap, roof. I've been trying to find a replacement. On the forum however I've seen that it's built into the windshield and a should have it replaced. Can somebody please clarify this for me

·
Administrator
8,220 Posts
The top molding is missing, sounds like someone removed it. It's a separate piece, it's not built into the windshield. Long gone obsolete too! :(

Joe

·
Registered
567 Posts
Its aluminum and is coated in rubber and is just a windshield molding, doesn't have a special name. As far as I know they arent made anymore, you have to find one online from a wrecked car or go to the junk yard. There are a few dealers that list them online but typically they dont actually have them. The coating cracks after a while so the chances of you finding a good one is slim to none, but you can paint them. I have a set of good trim I picked off a junk car but Im saving that for when mine is painted. eBay might be a good place to look.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The top molding is missing, sounds like someone removed it. It's a separate piece, it's not built into the windshield. Long gone obsolete too! :(

Joe
You can use plain old rubber stripping that pretty much any windshield shop has. They did that on mine when they replaced it. It's "obsolete" for the original Ford part, but it does the job just fine.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Its aluminum and is coated in rubber and is just a windshield molding, doesn't have a special name. As far as I know they arent made anymore, you have to find one online from a wrecked car or go to the junk yard. There are a few dealers that list them online but typically they dont actually have them. The coating cracks after a while so the chances of you finding a good one is slim to none, but you can paint them. I have a set of good trim I picked off a junk car but Im saving that for when mine is painted. eBay might be a good place to look.
The 97's had no aluminum, just rubber. I pulled one from a junkyard when I noticed mine was missing, then when I had the windshield replaced, they had rolls of it.

94/95 had an aluminum one that clips in. 96/97 glue in. I know for sure 97 does at least.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The 97's had no aluminum, just rubber. I pulled one from a junkyard when I noticed mine was missing, then when I had the windshield replaced, they had rolls of it.

94/95 had an aluminum one that clips in. 96/97 glue in. I know for sure 97 does at least.
My car is a 96 and has the clip in aluminum ones, and the good ones I got came off of another 96.

I know that manufactures will use left over parts if they have them so maybe I ended up finding another car that got the same treatment.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My winter car has black outside window moldings damaged by scrapping ice. I looked at junkyards for a long time before spotting a nice one. When I started taking it off I realized that someone had just covered it with nice black tape.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The rubber one was 97 only, the aluminum one was the same 89-96
Funny this is brought up they should done rubber from day 1 on all the glass
Or at least did the rear window upper lower in rubber too on the 97 .. aluminum reveals have been visual issues screwed up for years on almost all tbirds...

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Rubber dry rots , the aluminum ones can be refinished at least.
Aluminum is better here, imho.

Rubber, exposed to the sun and air hardens, shrinks, and crumbles over time.

If it's confined in a space that limits its evaporation of the plasticizers over time, it turns back into grease eventually; like belts on a turntable, lol.

If sunlight melts the Aluminum, we've been fucked for a while, lol.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Pretty sure the upper window trim on my 96 Tbird is a hard plastic, it has a few small chips in it.

My Cougar looks completely different and has a smooth molding that goes completely around the windshield, it looks much nicer quality. Must be one of the small differences between the two.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts