TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone.

You guys rock by the way great info on this list.

My Car I have a 1997 T-bird coupe I bought last year with only 25k miles on it.

Eventually I am looking to do the t-45 transmission mod, but first I wanted to ask your expert optinions!

I have a view options here.

A. Use the current motor in my car as the basis for acomplete rebuild and perfromance mod upgrade.

B. Go with a different engine for the basis of my mod performance upgrade.
If you guys had to pick which engibe to use f I was going to to a swap which
would you strongly reccomend??

C anyone in the Chicago area that knos T-bird engines and how to mod the real well?

I am curious, is the SOHC a good engine for mod upgrades or is a swap definately the way to go!?!? Just some questions for the experts before I start buying parts for my baby!

Thanks everyone

Steve M

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Welcome to TCCoA. :wavey:

Sounds like you have a nice, low mileage 4.6L Thunderbird.

Chitowntbird said:
I have a view options here.
A. Use the current motor in my car as the basis for acomplete rebuild and perfromance mod upgrade.

B. Go with a different engine for the basis of my mod performance upgrade.
If you guys had to pick which engibe to use f I was going to to a swap which
would you strongly reccomend??

I am curious, is the SOHC a good engine for mod upgrades or is a swap definately the way to go!?!? Just some questions for the experts before I start buying parts for my baby!
The SOHC 4.6L is a good engine for mod upgrades.
Many here have performed the P.I. head-swap as per the PI head Install for the 94-97 Ford MN12's listed in the Technical Articles on the home page and have gained 50 or more horsepower.
Many have modded their existing non-PI heads/intake to make just as much power, if not more.
Many have swapped in an Explorer SOHC 4.6L all aluminum PI engine.
While others have put a supercharger system on their SOHC 4.6L and made alot more power.

You should ask/answer yourself some questions;
How much money do you have to work with?
What kind of HP/TQ do you want to have?
How long can you be without the use of your Thunderbird?
Do you have other transportation to drive?
Things of that nature.

TCCoA has many knowledgeable/helpful members and alot of just great people. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Check out the IL chapter forum for some upcoming events. A big one with most of the most prominent t-bird guys in the area will be this sunday. So if you have time come on out and have a good time with us.

-Miller

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
miller1995 said:
Check out the IL chapter forum for some upcoming events. A big one with most of the most prominent t-bird guys in the area will be this sunday. So if you have time come on out and have a good time with us.

-Miller
Agreed! There will be lots of people here in Amboy Sunday who have done extensive mods on their cars. Todd almost singlehandedly (NOT) put a new motor, blower, intake, driveshaft, and all the little stuff in his Bird. Jeremy has had his bird (R.I.P.) apart more times than any of us. I've done the PI headswap and other suspension mods (see webpage). Come out and have fun, food, and chat with us!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
miller1995 said:

-Miller
Hey thanks for the invite. Ima going yo try and meet you guys. I am a little buys in the AM and will try to get out of some of the stuff if I can. If not, I would surely like to hang out with you guys another time.

MY T-Bird is soo naked compared to what you guys have. But that will change he he he ;).

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Chitowntbird said:

Hey thanks for the invite. Ima going yo try and meet you guys. I am a little buys in the AM and will try to get out of some of the stuff if I can. If not, I would surely like to hang out with you guys another time.

MY T-Bird is soo naked compared to what you guys have. But that will change he he he ;).
Cool! Hope to see you. Directions are on the Illinois board under Chapters and the Amboy Depot Days thread.

Jim Phelps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts