TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
After many hours work going over torque specs, bolt sizes, referencing part #s and info from the OD 101 article, I think this one is about ready. I'd like to thank dvlbrd66 and mager for helping me do a quick check on it. Mager told us to step up to the plate, so here's my contribution :)

www.personal.psu.edu/tfg112/tbird/article/swap1.pdf

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
updated tonight. Added TCC info.

·
Registered
278 Posts
How do you open a .pdf file? My computer automatically opened it in Word and it's just a bunch of characters all over the place.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark,
I'm using the PDF format temporarily because the word document I based the article on would be nearly 4 times the size... which is both too much to upload and too much for others to download to see. 1.5mb for the pdf file isnt too bad. Maybe when the finished product is ready it will get a different format... that isnt decided.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been told about the TCC solenoid change, but I have neither encountered a problem or been told of a problem that requires the solenoids to be changed. When my 93 CV needed new solenoids, the new ones had an F7 number... so the newer ones retrofit that far at least. 98+ I'm not sure of, biggest problem is the connector difference...

I've got over 15k on a 99GT VB in the other car and never had a problem. Anyone with more info please post.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, i doubt it caused your problem.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You are supposed to use certain solenoid types that came with your car's ECC.
The later models have a different resistance than the older types (pre-96).
Their hydraulic functionally is identical - only the electrical drive signals changed.

For a quick rundown...

The EPC solenoid is interchangable between years - however, the bracket must match the solenoid and VB you use.

The 1992-1995 TCC solenoid is different from 1996 up. This must match your ECC.
These were changed in the Crown Vic/LTC/GM before the MN12s - I believe in 1995.

The shift solenoids are interchangable.

FWIW

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GregFL said:

The EPC solenoid is interchangable between years - however, the bracket must match the solenoid and VB you use.

The 1992-1995 TCC solenoid is different from 1996 up. This must match your ECC.
These were changed in the Crown Vic/LTC/GM before the MN12s - I believe in 1995.

Good to have some backup on the shift solenoids. I just put to use the TCC for your particluar car, that way I could avoid getting into what years had what solenoids. As far as the EPC goes, I'd just use whatever came with the wiring that I was going to use, be it the newer style stuff, or just reusing all of the old wiring and solenoids.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
GregFL said:
Thank you sir! Just needed some reinforcement!

BTW Silver95Bird, great article, awesome details, looks like it's ready to become a Tech Article. Nice job!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TurboCat said:

Thank you sir! Just needed some reinforcement!

BTW Silver95Bird, great article, awesome details, looks like it's ready to become a Tech Article. Nice job!
Cool! :) always helps to have more feedback. So far everyone who sees it seems to like it... maybe I got it right. lol.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice work Tom. When ya gonna put that trans in the Bird? Come on, ya know ya want to. Catchin a little second gear rubber is what you want, isn't it? Heck, even my Caddy will turn the tires over hitting second! LOL. Seriously though, very nice article. Tell your dad to smile for the camera. BTW, already tired of this FWD torque steerin' , what's gonna break next car. I've been under the hood of this Eldo more in 2 months than I was all the time I owned your Bird. As soon as the title arrives from the state (NY sucks) the Caddy is up for sale and the search begins for a RWD V8 Ford !!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sometimes I need to be hit with a big old clue bat. This one was made by General Motors.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I just did a 98 mark8 swap and okcbird directed me to this article. I couldn't have done it without the article. Thanks a ton!
-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
One question though. I've got the whole wiring harness from the 98 mark8. Can I just reuse it? Or do I have to swap the 95 wiring onto it and repin the connector? Advice ASAP would be great.
-Thomas

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it's an either/or. Either you repin the connector, or you swap all the old stuff over. Use your TCC solenoid no matter what.

·
8,978 Posts
So if I use the 98 wiring harness it just plugs right into everything on the car and it'll all work fine? I already trimmed the TCC solenoid to fit and it's bolted in.
-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
So either I repin the 98 harness, or I swap over the 95 wiring? I'm a bit confused.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts