TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Headlights, dash, etc all work. When you turn the key the starter makes a steady clicking noise, but the engine doesn't try to turn over. Any ideas??

I will check cap/rotor tmrw when its light out also

·
Super Moderator
4,924 Posts
Low voltage on the battery?

Starter locked up?

If you have the lights on, do they dim down when you try to start, or not?

Could be a bad solenoid (I THINK the Cavy is standard-GM in that the solenoid is on the starter, not Ford style where there's a relay up on the inner fender - but, I could be wrong. Won't be the first time, won't be the last time :diablo: )

RwP

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't check the battery voltage but a jump start made no difference. It doesn't make a rrrrr sound like a low battery just a constant clicking on the starter. Yea the solenoid is on the starter itself.

·
Super Moderator
4,924 Posts
If you put the car in neutral (auto), can you turn it by hand? If manual, can you push it (albeit not easily) by hand? Can you push-start it, again if it's manual?

Sounds like the motor or the starter is locked up.

RwP

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I't won't even go into neutral with key ON; maybe starter is stuck on flywheel

·
Registered
41 Posts
When i had my grand cherokee, the starter would **** with me sometimes so often i could start it in neutral (automatic) if not, i put it in neutral (just place key to on) and pushed it a little. Then tried again. If that doesn't work, do the old technique of hitting the starter with a hammer. Not too hard, but hard enough. Try again. I doubt it's your cap or rotor because your engine isn't even cranking. Either low battery or starter.

·
Registered
485 Posts
clicking tells me either starter relay or starter solenoid or low voltage. Wheres the clicking coming from?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'll bet either low voltage on the battery or the cables are corroded and not sending enough power. Invest the 10-15$ for a cheap multimeter, cause it will pay for itself the first time you use it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'll bet either low voltage on the battery or the cables are corroded and not sending enough power. Invest the 10-15$ for a cheap multimeter, cause it will pay for itself the first time you use it.
X2

Since it won't boost from another battery I'm betting on corroded cables, or the battery is in such bad shape it is not letting the power from the boost get through..

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
took both out, starter was good, battery had a bad cell; thx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts