TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well, they do help.
In our large cars, the extra hp/torque down low helps our fat ladies move off the line.
As for working....they SHOULD, both are B heads............ someone else will have to chime in.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's a pretty simple swap...only issue i am concerned about will be the controllers. But I'm pretty sure it is the same as the Mk8's stock ones. Why would you want to swap IMRC's anyway? Keep in mind you can't fix a bottleneck from the bottom up.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they are both 'B' heads. I was told the '98 Cobra IMRC housings are plastic? Much like the plastic SOHC intakes, they should help resist heat soak. The '93 Mark VIII intake and IMRCs being aluminum get hot easily.

My thinking is the plastic IMRC housings would help, much like a composite spacer. I have a ported/polished/coated Gen1 intake I plan to swap in and was hoping the actual ports were the same to match the IMRCs.

As far as the controllers, I've known others who went with the Cobra intake on a Gen1 and used the electric controllers. It requires using the IMRC vacuum solenoid and a relay to acuate the electric Cobra IMRC controllers. A MSD window switch could also be used. So, barring any physical constraints, one should be able to make it work?

Or I can just clean up the IMRCs I have, gasket match them and go with what I have.

As far as the bottleneck, I hope to later get ported/polished heads with a new valvetrain and cams. :D

·
Registered
859 Posts
GenII Mark VIII IRMC's are also plastic. Physically, they will mount up just the same, and as you mentioned, you just have to rework the controllers a bit as they are a different setup.

Thomas

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yes they will work John but you will like you said have to use their controler or grind off the linkage of both and then install the Mark's linkage. They not only help with the heat soak but they are slightly larger.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you can fit cobra/gen2 plates with stock 1st gen intake, you're a GOD and I bow in front on you ! LOL

IMPOSSIBLE !!! without reworking the primaries of the intake, or IMRC ports. They will bolt up but the plates won't line up with intake ports.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yup, that's why when swapping to the cobra intake on a 1st gen car, you have to use the cobra/gen 2 plates with either electric actuators or swap over the rods and vac actuators from mark 8 to cobra plates. Either way you have to use the cobra plates. Sorry ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts