TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got a 98 Mustang GT tranny + tc for $150 so I'm pretty stoked about it.

Is there anything special I need to know about installing this tranny?

It comes with a TC, so I take it that’s a big plus, I know a need a flywheel, I presume that the mark one will work correct?

- Pelezo

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
You'll need to swap over your TCC solenoid and modify the connector on it so it fits, your MLPS and possibly your MLPS lever from your old trans. Also repin the connector on the harness. Would be a good idea to Jmod it of course.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
J-Mod I will do if the funds are there, I've only got about $400 total to spend on the transmission and a basic list of things like the flex plate, shop funds, and fluid/filter.

Question, when I go to get the filter, do I ask for a 98 Mustang GT filter?

I'll do all the luxury items afterwards.

- Pelezo

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Yes, ask for a 98 Stang filter to make it easier.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Do a search as well, it will tell you everything you need to do.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
You can get by without a j-mod of course but honestly its cheap. Swaping the tcc, mlps and lever and repinning the harness isn't a luxury. Not if you actually want to use the transmission. heh

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I'm saying, I'm doing just enough to get by with it working 100% before I start doing things that cost even more money (I may drill the separator plate just to do it because its already got all the updated internals from what I've heard).

- Pelezo

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, want to come up here to Shreveport and help me and Pete kentwood? :p

- Pelezo

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
That trans also has an 8 tooth output shaft. So you'll need a 21 tooth gear if you have a 3.27 rear. If you have more gear than 3.27, you need a speedcal.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a stock one wheel wonder gear ratio, no idea what the exact number is though.

Speedcal is cheaper than rebuilding the whole tranny right? :p

- Pelezo

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
EPelezo said:
I have a stock one wheel wonder gear ratio, no idea what the exact number is though.

Speedcal is cheaper than rebuilding the whole tranny right? :p

- Pelezo

Check the door jamb code, probably an open 3.08

When you doing this work?

I can come visit to Jmod the tranny for you if you want

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well,

The funds for the transmission are going to be sent to the guy today, on truck freight I think it takes about a week, enough time to get more money together for the shop funds and a flexplate.

All in all, I'd say about two and half weeks from now or so.

- Pelezo

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright,

I'm going to buy the transmission first as that's priority on my list, I can tell him to just hold on to it for a few weeks before he ships it.

Hey kentwood, do you own a shop where I might be able to get it shipped to? I can give you gas money and some stuff for computers if you'll haul it up here from...wherever you live at in LA.

- Pelezo

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
EPelezo said:
Alright,

I'm going to buy the transmission first as that's priority on my list, I can tell him to just hold on to it for a few weeks before he ships it.

Hey kentwood, do you own a shop where I might be able to get it shipped to? I can give you gas money and some stuff for computers if you'll haul it up here from...wherever you live at in LA.

- Pelezo

Sorry my shop is my garage at the house

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol,

Well how do you make your motor mounts then? You don’t know of any shops locally that would allow the tranny to be shipped to them? There's hardly any shops around here and they are all greedy as hell.

Well, it works, it just wont shift into second without being high up in the RPMs which burnt the fluid up last time.

- Pelezo

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
EPelezo said:
lol,

Well how do you make your motor mounts then? You don’t know of any shops locally that would allow the tranny to be shipped to them? There's hardly any shops around here and they are all greedy as hell.

Well, it works, it just wont shift into second without being high up in the RPMs which burnt the fluid up last time.

- Pelezo
It's a two car garage ;)

Sounds like your pump burntup eh?

I dunno man - where are you getting this trans from?

Greenleaf has no prob shipping to your residential address

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's getting shipped from a guy of corral in PA.

He can ship it to my addy, but it would only be 200 to ship it to a business and 360 to ship it to my house (total).

- Pelezo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts