TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an ad on craigs..

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/car/738288006.html

looks like a decent car, but whats the MPG on these things? How well do they run?

Any other opinions? i just need something cheap and highly efficient till i can save up for a new car.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
run away FAST! they are a pile , just like the contour mystike they are based off of

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
nice sporty car that are fun to drive....My ex girlfreind had one for 2 years or so until she traded it in for a new car, and a best freind had one for a year until he totaled it. They both run really great. Common problems with them were the electrical systems, the headlights in both cars and dashlights would dim off and on spontaneously for some reason. sometimes they would and othertimes they wouldnt. Annoying to me.

2nd problem is both of their cars seemed to chew up the inside of tires very badly, I know I had taken my ex's car for an alignment, the car would drive straight but would still chew up the tires. Almost like the car was lowered and the camber was not adjusted. But it wasnt.

3rd my freind had a factory sunroof in his and that thing didnt work worth a crap, he had taken it to the dealership and that didn't fix the problem for some reason(IDK) I just remember him being pissed cause he could never use it.

Thinking like 26-28 mpg, they both had a meter which would tell you instant economy

I think they were a fun little car, but I would probably never buy one just because I seen 2(both spruce green) that had the same problems which seemed to not be able to be fixed.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,789 Posts
X 2 here my daughter has a 99 Just replaced tires and right side headlight. Gets her there and back so far :) Good MPG

It will get up and move pretty good !

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm going to go look at one today and my uncle had told me that the only thing the cougar is mainly known for is a leak somewhere in the engine, not quite sure where but that's only because people beat the living piss out of the thing. Plus, sinced they're based off of the contour/mystique if I have any problems my boyfriend should be able to fix it since he owns a Contour and knows how to work on it.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Thinking like 26-28 mpg, they both had a meter which would tell you instant economy
EPA says highway mileage is 28 for 4cyl, 26 for 6 cyl. Most people can better that, but it's still not great for a small car.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL Contact "travelersX" about it. (LOL she was... errr..... a little miffed when she chose her username) If you send her a PM, she will get a notice and might respond. She traded bought a 99 or 2000 Cougar, and hated it. I thought it was a nice little car but I didn't spend a lot of time in it. It did have a very slight pull to the right when the brakes were lightly applied. Braked straight and true in a panic stop... go figure.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
being i work in a ford dealer , trust me , you dont want anything to do with these cars or a contour mystike, they are junk

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just bought a 92 Integra DA B18A1, Its my first 4cyl car. And I love it. It gets like 33mpg atleast and its super fun to drive. I know its not a Ford but I have no complaints, and its pretty easy to work on..

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I wouldnt even bother with a cavalier, I had one and my cougar got a little better or equal mileage on the highway, around town the cavalier was about 5 mpg better, but Id rater pay a little more for gas for the comfort of my cougar. I got rid of the cavy and traded it for an SUV, which I needed for kayaking and mountain biking.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I wouldnt even bother with a cavalier, I had one and my cougar got a little better or equal mileage on the highway, around town the cavalier was about 5 mpg better, but Id rater pay a little more for gas for the comfort of my cougar. I got rid of the cavy and traded it for an SUV, which I needed for kayaking and mountain biking.
My 2000 Cavalier gets an average of 27 mpg on the highway at 75-90mph, I am not sure what my T-Bird gets but I can say it is not that good. I would say that my cavalier has served me good for the past 6 years I have owned it and it is going pretty good at 125,000 miles but I also take care of the mechanicals.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My 2000 Cavalier gets an average of 27 mpg on the highway at 75-90mph, I am not sure what my T-Bird gets but I can say it is not that good. I would say that my cavalier has served me good for the past 6 years I have owned it and it is going pretty good at 125,000 miles but I also take care of the mechanicals.
I took care of mine too but I think why it got horrible mileage was because it had just a 3 spd (no overdrive) transmission, kinda sucked on the highway lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts