TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the issue now. This Damn car has had 2 trans jobs done to it so far. I hope this wont be an issue that will break my new trans. So I have a 99 GT trans from donor mustang w/ 94,000miles on it. Really good condition...Before I put in this newer unit I did everything I was supposed to do; Put in my 94's TCC, bought mercon 5 and Changed out the MLPS along with buying a new flywheel, repined the wiring plug and bought a 99 GT TC to go with my new trans. I also want to add that I didnt get my newer speedo gear till about a week after I had been driving my car.

The problem I'm having is that my car seems to have weird shifting lock up points. In the morning it will seem to shift 1,2,3,4 and 5??? I know i don't have 5 gears...Im pretty sure of it...but anyways after my car has been warmed up a bit it will shift 1,2 and then when it hits '3rd' compared to the mornings when its cold it seems like its shifting into 4th instead of 3rd. Its like it misses it completely and then I magically have 4 gears again. The second thing I was becoming worried about was that when I put it into drive it will engage real slowly and the reverse is fast. BTW The speedo gear I put into my newer unit is a 21 tooth purple gear. I have 3.08 gears because I have the 94. Maybe that has an affect on the 21 tooth speedo?.....Causing my car to continue to shift differently, only thing is that my speed seems right and not off..

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
You have the wrong speedo gear, a purple 21 should be if u had 3.27 rear since u got 3.08s u need the 20 tooth orange gear

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
Don't forget the TC lockup. 1 and 2 are unlocked in the stock tune. Then the shift to 3rd, then 4th. The TC stays unlocked until the fluid gets to a certain temperature, so 3rd gear seems like 2-1/2 and 4th seems like 3rd. When the trans locks up at warmer temps, you get the usual 1, 2, 3-lockup, and 4.

But yes, you've got the wrong speedo gear for 3.08s with an 8 tooth output shaft, depending on your tires. And not all 94/95s had 3.08s, check the axle code on the door jamb sticker to be sure.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't forget the TC lockup. 1 and 2 are unlocked in the stock tune. Then the shift to 3rd, then 4th. The TC stays unlocked until the fluid gets to a certain temperature, so 3rd gear seems like 2-1/2 and 4th seems like 3rd. When the trans locks up at warmer temps, you get the usual 1, 2, 3-lockup, and 4.

But yes, you've got the wrong speedo gear for 3.08s with an 8 tooth output shaft, depending on your tires. And not all 94/95s had 3.08s, check the axle code on the door jamb sticker to be sure.
Checked the axle code and it says its 5. So im guessing thats just how the newer 4r70w's shift? Or to be safe should I just buy a tuner? I know its a good trans because it has nice firm shifting. BTW power wise this car feels so much more better then having the stock 94's tc and trans.. Night and day difference. Thanks again for the help on my tedious questions. oh and my tires are 215R75's. Might this make any differences?

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
5 is 3.27 open (Y is 3.08), so your speedo gear would be correct. If you got the torque converter from the Mustang with the trans, that would account for the feeling of extra power; it's a few hundred RPM higher in stall speed.

To be honest, a video of normal acceleration while cold and while warm would help us figure out if it's normal or not. :)

Your tires are a little tall, so your speedo will read slow and it'll hurt gearing a little, but otherwise that shouldn't affect the shift schedule since you have the correct speedo gear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5 is 3.27 open (Y is 3.08), so your speedo gear would be correct. If you got the torque converter from the Mustang with the trans, that would account for the feeling of extra power; it's a few hundred RPM higher in stall speed.

To be honest, a video of normal acceleration while cold and while warm would help us figure out if it's normal or not. :)

Your tires are a little tall, so your speedo will read slow and it'll hurt gearing a little, but otherwise that shouldn't affect the shift schedule since you have the correct speedo gear.
I will take a video and post asap.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://s987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/PDADDY09/?action=view&current=e7205.mp4

I know its been a while but I still want to make sure its not shifting inproperly.. This is a video of it warmed up and shifting I will post a cold shift later on. I know I used a cell phone so please dont chew me out. ..lol this is the only way I can video tape something. (I also realize the light and the voltage meter)

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
http://s987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/PDADDY09/?action=view&current=e7205.mp4

I know its been a while but I still want to make sure its not shifting inproperly.. This is a video of it warmed up and shifting I will post a cold shift later on. I know I used a cell phone so please dont chew me out. ..lol this is the only way I can video tape something. (I also realize the light and the voltage meter)
Ok, I won't chew you out, but the video SUCKED :thumbsd:

Sorry, not trying to be a douche, but you can't hear anything.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I won't chew you out, but the video SUCKED :thumbsd:

Sorry, not trying to be a douche, but you can't hear anything.....
HAHAHA! I know, my phone needs to be destroyed...But what I was trying to really show was the RPM's Shift points...Eventually I will get a good cam to re-record this.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
From what I remember when my car still had 3.27s, the 1-2 happened at about 12 MPH, the 2-3/lockup was about 22-25 MPH and the 3-4 is around 33-35 MPH.

If you didn't have your foot in the gas then yes, it's shifting at too high an RPM. It might be worthwhile to test the TPS.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I remember when my car still had 3.27s, the 1-2 happened at about 12 MPH, the 2-3/lockup was about 22-25 MPH and the 3-4 is around 33-35 MPH.

If you didn't have your foot in the gas then yes, it's shifting at too high an RPM. It might be worthwhile to test the TPS.
From 1-2 no didnt give alot of gas but 2-3 *kinda gave some gas. I'll check the TPS now.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
If you make a new video, keep the throttle in the same position until it finishes shifting from 1st into 4th, a non linear throttle position will give a non linear shift schedule and it's hard to tell if it's normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts