TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i have 11 gallons or less of gas, and i hit the gas hard off a dead stop, i go about twenty feet, and the car bogs down to close to dying, then comes back...... not good if theres heavy traffic, or a ricer next to me....makes me look stupid, which i dont like. anyone had this problem, or know what the prob. is?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Perhaps you baffles aren't doing their job and the gas is sloshing to the back of the tank, making the pump run dry?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
could be...

what happens if you ease into it? what happens if your doing 40mph when you stomp on it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok its like this... when the tank is full, everything works great all the time, but once i get below 11 gallons, if im stopped or within 5 miles an hour of stopped, when i hit the gas, it dies, or gets close to it, but if im going faster already , nothing happens it just acts normal, or if i ease into it it usually doesnt do anything abnormal.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Like greenbird mentioned it sounds related to the fuel pickup but without dropping the tank to look there isn't a way to check

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I also second that. i don't really know how the pick up is in the tank, so i'm going to go out on a limb. In my old, very old (57) pickup i had this same problem. at half a tank or so, it would seem like it ran out of gas or was flooding. the same symptoms you're having. we pulled the tank and the pickup tube had a very slight crack in it. just enough to let air in when you got on it. replaced it and runs fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, so i guess im droppin the tank then, thats ok, i've torn everything else off the car this week......kid backed into me so i decided since i have to replace my front end i'll just fix everything else while its out of service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts