TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright, something weird just happened. I was out in the garage today and i took out my instument panel, and then took the whole thing apart. Mind you, I have a 1990 Cougar LS, So i have the digital setup. I got it down to each part, and started examining it. I plan on taking the green colored film sheets off and replacing them with blue and white sheets of high temp film to change the color (which i will show when i finish). But....I put everything back together and started the car, everything normal so far. I go out with my gf and on teh way there, realize the air conditioner is not working, just blowing air. Now it was working not more than 6 hours ago....what happened? I hooked everything up right, i had my Hayne's Manual right there making sure I didnt miss anything. Anyone got any ideas?? I just had it recharged a year ago, it's not dead already, I hardly use it. Any ideas would be very appreciated, thanks you guys!

Kyle

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i dunno....

i dont really know, how do i tell?? i checked the fuse for the a/c switch, and that was fine. how can i tell if it's engaging??

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Do you know where the A/C compressor is? With the car running, pop the hood and make sure the A/C is on. Look at the bottom, passenger side of the front of the engine and you'll see about a 4-5" pulley with 3 bolts in it. If that pulley is spinning, then the clutch is engaged. If not, then you may have found your problem...

·
CatBird Creator
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks, i didnt know where it was. ok, so if it's not engaging, what am i looking at in price, and can i do this myself to fix it??

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Um, I'm not sure what you could do yourself. And I won't offer any advice, because I don't have any experience in that field. If it isn't engaging, you might take it by Ford and a few other of your local shops to see what they'll charge you to fix it. Good luck man...

EDIT: I just noticed you have a 90 Cougar LS, and I told you where the A/C compressor is on a 4.6L V8. Hence, my 95. Hmm. If you find the A/C accum bowl, the large silverish thing on the passenger side of the car. Looks like an air tank, but only about 3-4" in diameter, and maybe 8" tall. If you find the A/C lines and follow them until they run into something thats roughly the size of an alternator and has the afor mentioned 3 bolts on the pulley, you've found it. The pulley/clutch also tends to have a metal triangle on it with the 3 bolts in the points of the triangle. If i had a pic, I'd show you. But look around, you'll find it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts