TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was wondering if there is a pulley or shorter belt for the 3.8 that i would be able to use in the event that i take my a/c out. Mine doesn't work and seeing how i live in Minnesota there isn't too much time that i would really wanna use it even if it did. Also, how much power would i gain and how big of an impact on fuel economy would it have. Thanks

·
5,650 Posts
I haven't seen an A/C delete pulley for the 3.8 and looking at the belt routing I don't see how you'd be able to run it without a pulley there.

Honestly though since it doesn't work, you're not gonna notice any substantial fuel economy gains. You can rip out all the lines, the condensor and the accumulator it you want to shed weight, but in total it'll be maybe 30-35 pounds. You'll free air flow to the radiator though which will help marginally with your cooling. The pulley on the A/C rotates freely when it's not on, so it doesn't add parasitic drag. For simplicity and a cleaner looking engine bay, rip out all the lines, the condensor, and leave the compressor on.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
I too, am thinking about doing this. My AC died this summer and now blows hot air. I hardly ever use it, and I think it would cost more trying to fix it, along with converting to the newer freon. How hard is it to remove all the parts and install the delete pulley?

·
5,650 Posts
It's not hard at all. All you need is a couple sockets for the compressor bolts (13mm I think) and you'll have to take out the radiator to remove the condensor. You'll also need the assortment of tools for the quick-connect fittings. I believe the A/C uses 3 or 4 different sizes. There's a small bracket holding on the acccumulator but that can easily be taken off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts