TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been trying to hook my a/c back up and its been a nightmare some one deleted it before I got the car, anyway they cut the line after a coupler on the compressor and well its hell trying to get it off. I am really just curious how do I get the compressor off it has 4 bolts but its really tight in there, is there a certain way or do I have to take the radiator completely out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid of taking the manifold off that really sucks thankyou

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got that hose off, anyway I have already flushed the reciever dryer, the condensor and evaporator, and all the lines I flushed them really good and the compressor is stock and I of course I cant flush it but I blew it out with air and the dryer is sitting out overnight. tomorrow I am going to hook all the lines and hook a vacuum to it and run vacuum on them. Now I know its best to replace the dryer but can I get away without replacing it? I really dont have the money for it I just had my fan go out on my 5.0 and I had to buy so much for this a/c job but the plus is I will have all the tools to do a/c work any time now. I also put an ounce of oil in the dryer. What is really sad though is I have those oem line disconnect tools and some from snap- on and another set in a plastic blow mold set that I got from the snap on truck but are made by astro or something like that, guess what tool got the line off the stupid cheap plastic one from auto zone that I just bought. well I appreciate the info and please get back to me on the dryer thing cause I can try to hold off on a fan fo my 5.0. Oh! since I didnt have to remove the compressor after all do you think the o-rings on the line that bolts to the compressor will be ok to leave alone.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also would have to special order the dryer too.

·
5,650 Posts
You have essentially destroyed the accumulator/dryer by running the flush through it. That component cannot be flushed and must be replaced whenever another A/C component is replaced, otherwise performance will not be optimal and you run the risk of damaging other things. It is cheap (lists for under $40 on RockAuto) and it would be foolish to put the system back together without replacing it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I appreciate the info all the help but I have to order one and well I am not gonna wait that long to put the car back together, I know I should but I dont want to wait any more I have a dryer on my 95 cougar I might get it and put it on. I am not argueing with you on the reciever but in school my teacher said it was ok to flush the dryer as long as you blew it out and let it sit for a few hours he said it will do its not recommended, well I am waiting for napa to open if they have one I will buy it if they have to order it the car is going back together. Thankyou though

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well no one has it in stock so I am going to put it all together now and I am going to run vacuum on it for about 45 minutes that should do the trick if it happens to fail later I will replace the dryer and compressor. Like I said I appreciate the info if I had forseen the need I would have replaced it, but when I went to school they said you dont have to replace it, but I really didnt learn alot mainlyt be a parts swapper so he may have been wong.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If it works good enough for your liking thats all that matters

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just buttoned up the car the lambo doors work alot better now, changed out the header panel and now the A/c works it blows pretty cold too. I am going to go ahead and put a receiver dryer on order and get a new line with the muffler on it. It is blowing at 52 F I will see how good it does in the texas heat. Thankyou for all the help and the good advice I really appreciate it alot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are putting a brand new compressor on they won't cover it under warranty if you don't replace the dryer at the same time. Some companies also require you to place a filter on the suction side before the compressor to maintain warranty. What that means is they think that not replacing it can make your compressor fail prematurely.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well needless to say it is working, but now I know the compressor works now so I ordered a new reciever dryer and I am not gonna run it until I get that on and flush the lines and condensor. See I know the temp should be getting around 40 f and well its staying around 52 f so I am going to replace that also there was sweat around the low pressure lines, and I remember that isnt good either so I am replacing it period. Also the muffler line, what is the purpose of the muffler on the a/c line, when I had the lines rebuilt the guy told me he could take it off and bypass it, I was worried so I told him to leave it. I was thinking of replacing that line too since I so decided it was a good idea to flush everything but the compressor.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well betweenthe time of me asking and reading the answer I got really frustrated and pissed at how the old line was stuck on, my goal was to finishup sunday ad be enjoying my ice cold a/c, any way when I read your post I knew it was true but didnt want to accept it. Bad mood, any way yeah I wasted freon and oil and some time but I really wanted a/c and didnt want to wait, now I know the compressor works now and I really dont want to risk anything at all so I am going to wait for the part. Thankyou for your words and also not giving up on me.
He didn't say he was using a new compressor.

Though I want to ask, what was the point of asking "Now I know its best to replace the dryer but can I get away without replacing it?" if you had already decided you were going to reuse it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
He didn't say he was using a new compressor.

Though I want to ask, what was the point of asking "Now I know its best to replace the dryer but can I get away without replacing it?" if you had already decided you were going to reuse it?
Ok I guess I'll spell it out. An open A/C system is bad. :( ANY compressor may break earlier than it should if you do not replace the dryer and install a filter before the compressor. I knew he wasn't planning to buy a new one but that doesn't change the fact that using those 2 cheap items could help get much more life out of the old one as well.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well I got a reciver dryer now when you say a filter what is that, is that the muffler. I am not installing anything now until I can start over again completely fresh I know the compressor works I got a new reciever dryer and new o-rings, what else do I need to do to make it right

Ok I guess I'll spell it out. An open A/C system is bad. :( ANY compressor may break earlier than it should if you do not replace the dryer and install a filter before the compressor. I knew he wasn't planning to buy a new one but that doesn't change the fact that using those 2 cheap items could help get much more life out of the old one as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Im sorry Sloth the sarcasm in that was not directed at you. The part you would need is (ACDELCO Part # 151747 FILTER,A/C REFRIG 5/8 INCH ID FOR SUCTION LINE). That part # is from Rockauto. An inline filter in front of the compressor will keep anything that might have been missed in a flush from entering the compressor and destroying it just like the air and fuel filters for the engine.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am not worried I was being pretty hard headed when it came to the beginning of the thread, no offense taken I really wanted to have a/c its so damn hot here and well now I do know the compressor works. What does the muffler line do should I replace that or have it deleted or just use the old one, I did flush that too. Thankyou for the help

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im sorry Sloth the sarcasm in that was not directed at you. The part you would need is (ACDELCO Part # 151747 FILTER,A/C REFRIG 5/8 INCH ID FOR SUCTION LINE). That part # is from Rockauto. An inline filter in front of the compressor will keep anything that might have been missed in a flush from entering the compressor and destroying it just like the air and fuel filters for the engine.
That part looks like the muffler does it have to be crimped on how does it attach

1 - 20 of 24 Posts