TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...

A new compressor was installed on my car recently ('94 LX, 4.6l).

I was wondering how the A/C compressor operates in this respect: I have noticed that it 'cycles' every few seconds. I have observed that the pulley on it spins for a couple seconds, then it stops for a few seconds. The A/C is blowing cold air, which indicates the system is working ok.

I would like to know if that 'cycling' is part of the normal operation of the condenser. It makes a sound I didn't observe, as part of its cycling between "stand-by" and "on." The sound is nothing more than a small "psst" - system pressure fluctuates between the high range of normal (when compressor is on) and just under normal (when compressor is 'off').

Thanks!

--Pete

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Sounds normal to me for a a/c system running in a near satisfied status. With it in this same condition, put it out in the sun, and roll the windows down part way. You should see the a/c clutch engage/release much less often, and keep working to cool the car. If it does not, then it may be slightly low on charge.

The hissing sound is normal as the system is going from operating with part of the system in a vacuum, and the other part above 200 psi, to all at the same static pressure.

K

·
0 Posts
How much did you pay to have a new compressor put in? I need to do it and I really don't feel like doing it myself :)

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Compressor Pricing...

...will more than likely vary from shop to shop, and from locale to locale. I probably paid too much (~$475, plus labor), but that's Detroit area pricing; I needed the car right away since I do a lot of music job-related travel.

--Pete :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts