TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is on my 1994 Econoline 150 conversion van with a 5.0L 302, with factory R-134.

During the winter while running it made a loud scraping noise from the front of the engine. I thought it was the power-steering pump. I popped the hood and saw sparks and smoke coming from the A/C clutch area. I'm guessing that the clutch is fried or the electronics at the front pulley area are toasted. I've been doing some searching here and on other Ford forums but have not come across any similar problems. The weather here in SE lower Michigan (metro Detroit area) is starting to warm up and this van is my wife's daily driver. Needless to say we haven't used the defrost since the afternoon this happened nor the A/C yet. I haven't played with it to see if it turns freely by hand or tried running the engine then engaging the A/C to see what happens.

I need to change the clutch. I've done some reading up on A/C clutches and I've been seeing something called coils as well, that requires the compressor to be pulled. Bear in mind I've never changed an A/C clutch out but I have the step-by-step procedure on how to do it. I'll need some sort of clutch tool to take it out from what I've been reading.

Prior to this all throughout the past couple of years the A/C has been blowing kinda cool in the front but warm in the back where my little girls ride. Was that a foreshadowing of this clutch problem? Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
that's probably just the air warming up to the room temperature of the car as it travels farther to get to the vent farthest from the starting location.

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Turned out I had a condition known as A/C "BLACK DEATH" but now the problem is solved - A/C blowing COLD front and rear:

Well, the adventure came to an end and the A/C in my van now blows cold front and rear! Did a compressor change ($98 + shipping - rebuilt from eBay), replaced the accumulator ($57) and had the lines flushed. I spoke with a manager I've come to know at a local garage and I told him I had the compressor and the accumulator already, and if he could just evacuate, flush and recharge my system. He agreed and performed the work, INSTALLED my already-bought compressor and accumulator, and the labor and materials (chemicals to flush and extra R-134) came out to be just under $200. But now the van blows COLD air at the vents both front and back and we ride around in comfort in the hot weather.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Hmmm...what shop was this at? I think the A/C system in my car is in need of flushing...too many places around Dearborn want $100+ just to evacuate and recharge

1 - 5 of 5 Posts