TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 T-Bird's air conditioning was working fine all last summer.But I live in New York,so I drove it through the winter :eek: But now,I get the car out this summer,and try to use the air conditioning,and the compressor wont turn on.I'm sure the system is full of r-134a,but the compressor still won't turn on.DOes anyone know of any way to fix this?Could the clutch in the compressor be bad possibly?Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I would check the A/C fuse under the hood. Easy fix if that's it. There may be a larger relay under there as well for the A/C. The fuse diagram is on the underside of the cover if I remember correctly.

Jay

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of the fuses are O.K.Any Other ideas?

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
pressure switch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is probably going to sound stupid,but where is the pressure switch?And what does it do?Is it something I can figure out myself?I really want to get this fixed before this weekend,because four of us are driving down to Ohio in it,and it's supposed to be ninety degrees all weekend :eek: Thanks again for any help!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I found the pressure switch,disconnected it,and ran a U-shaped wire back into the plug in an attempt to short circuit the switch,but the compressor still wont turn on! :rolleyes: I'm just about at a loss as what to do next ,because I really don't want to take it to a garage.Please,any help at all would be great!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
you need to see if there is any actual freon int he system, if its too low, it wont run at all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is freon in it.I can put the gauge on the low pressure port and it reads out 45 psi

·
Registered
13 Posts
Help

Pony Boy said:
There is freon in it.I can put the gauge on the low pressure port and it reads out 45 psi
This is going to sounds really stupid, but did you check the fuse in the passenger compartment? Mine wouldn't kick on because that fuse was bad. After that check your control switch (on the dash).

Chris

·
Registered
221 Posts
A.C. compressor

Pony Boy

Hope you dont mind a few more $ .02 worth! I saw some of the suggestions, which I agree with, but something you said leaves me with another question.

If your compressor clutch solenoid is not pulling up, are you reading 45 psi on the low side without the compressor turning? If so, then that is some indication of your freon being too low. Both sides (high and low) will equalize after a minute or so of not running, you can watch it on the guages after you shut off the compressor. The orifice tube that controls the flow of freon to the evaporator is not an off/on switch. it is a small brass tube with the filter screen that is a given size opening.
If you are reading 45 psi with the compressor not pumping, then the instant the compressor pulls on, the high side will go to (whatever value the low freon lets it go to) and the low side will go below the required psi for the pressure valve, which is around 25~27 lbs and the pressure valve will open up the connection.

If you have doubts about the relays or wiring that pull up the compressor, then take a PG clip (handy to have--Radio shack) and source +12 VDC to the battery side of the connector on the compressor. If in doubt, also PG a good ground (rtn) to the other pin on the compressor.

I hope you did the loop wire plug at the connector on the dryer from the pressure switch. Compressor clutch solenoids do go bad once in a while, but can be purchased separately, without having to buy a new compressor. If you do, read the instructions carefully, there are some clearances you need to observe! You may have already found your problem, this post is several days old-----Hope this helps some!!

YB

·
Registered
416 Posts
i am having the same problem this year with my a/c. The clutch won't turn and if i turn on the defroster or a/c the pulley will still turn but the clutch won't and if you leave it for a long time smoke starts to come out. That is what happened to mine. I would like to know if anybody out there has replaced there compressor and what is the procedure and if it is a good idea to buy one from a junk yard. A new one runs close to three hundred here in new york. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
yea , dont buy a used, its not worth your time for the amount of labor involved to change them out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts