TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not T-bird or Ford related but just information I recently discovered. The A/C on my 2000 Malibu would ice up after about 70 miles. I have worked on all types of refrigeration and A/C's for about 40 years and tried to find a cycling switch but there was none on this car. After a lot of research I found that this has a Variable Displacement Compressor that runs all the time. It has a valve inside that uses pressure to vary the stroke of the pistons. My valve was bad so I replaced the compressor. New challenges keep life interesting.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yep that is the way of the future, Due to the cost of copper in the clutch and the added weight it adds they are doing away with it. The down side is more torque drain when not using the A/C since you are now turning more (pistons, shaft, etc.)then a pulley even though you are not pumping which

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep that is the way of the future, Due to the cost of copper in the clutch and the added weight it adds they are doing away with it. The down side is more torque drain when not using the A/C since you are now turning more (pistons, shaft, etc.)then a pulley even though you are not pumping which
It still has a clutch that engages and disengages when you cut a/c on and off, but once it is engages it does not cycle off like the clutch cycling orifice tube units.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It still has a clutch that engages and disengages when you cut a/c on and off, but once it is engages it does not cycle off like the clutch cycling orifice tube units.

Are you sure it is a clutch and not a torque limiting pulley?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts