TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i looked at the chart that someone posted, that shows A/C cycing rates out of the service manual, for given ambient temperatures. It is about 83F outside, and my A/c was cylcling once every bout 8-12 seconds. According to the chart that is way too fast. IT should be cycling once every about 40-45 seconds. What could be the cause of this, i checked the pressure on the low side, it was right on target at 25 psi. How do u tell how much freon is in the system?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I can't help you with the procedure for checking the freon level, but I can tell you what happened to me.

I had a new (1989) Dodge Ram 50 that did this when I bought it, I took it back to the dealership three times before they figured out that there was TOO MUCH freon in the system. They just kept trying to fill it, obviously not fixing anything.

for what it's worth...........................

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
It sounds like the charge is low, if you've observed the pressure at 25 lbs., especially since the range is 25-45 lbs. Are you using the simple, inexpensive one-dial guage, or a full-blown A/C manifold gauge set-up?

Here's a chart to read through, from the 1997 Service Manual. It has a detailed list of clutch cycling times and pressure relationships that will help you pinpoint the problem. Take a look at the 4th from the bottom, and see if that's what you're observing.

All-in-all, it may be time to have the A/C system evacuated and recharged at a shop. I've seen specials advertised locally that range from $25 to $50 (plus refrigerant/R134a, in most cases).

FWIW, I added a can of R134a to a coworker's 2000 Taurus two weeks ago, even though the simple gauge read 25 lbs. Pressure went to 35 lbs. (if I recall correctly), and his A/C system has been running normally since...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i went ahead and charged the system, it took almost the whole 11 oz can, if not all of it. Now at idle it reads right @35 psi. I dont hear the A/c cycling anymore, because i would hear it cycle every 10-12 secs before hand. Now i dont hear it at all, now it blows a bit colder now. its noticeable. also i was using a inexpensive 1 dial gauge.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Another effective way to check your charge is by looking at the sight glass on the refrigerant reservoir. It should be just to one side of the evaporator coil and the glass itself is about the size of a pencil eraser. If you've got bubbles, you're not at a full charge. If it's clear of bubbles and blowing cold, you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm, can u show me a pic of where this is? In the engine compartment?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
awesome... thanks:thumbsup: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have u taken the picture yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts