TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C has stopped working i dont know if it needs to be recharged or if something else is wrong with it. I was told if it only needed to be recharged that it would run 50 - 80 bucks. I found a A/C eleminator bracket and pulley at summit for 45 bucks http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FMS-M-19216-D46&N=700+4294924746+4294908331+4294840044+115&autoview=sku I rarly ever use my A/C so if its gone i really dont think ill miss it.

How much does it weigh?
Does it weigh enough to justify taking it out?

·
Registered
484 Posts
thing ways IIRC like 15 lbs theres really no need to eliminate it. plus you never appreciate ac untill your in a car without it. also would you ever try to sell it almost evryone would want it

·
5,650 Posts
A/C systems can be quite expensive to fix sometimes, but there is little justification in removing the system based on weight. The A/C compressor, lines, and other components collectively might weigh 30 lbs, with the compressor taking up most of that weight. The biggest advantage in removing the system would be gaining all the space in the engine bay. With the lines gone and the condensor and compressor removed, things are a lot cleaner looking. Plus there is added airflow across the radiator and engine, though now the radiator has no "shield" to catch all the rocks and bugs.

·
Super Moderator
16,989 Posts
A/C systems can be quite expensive to fix sometimes, but there is little justification in removing the system based on weight. The A/C compressor, lines, and other components collectively might weigh 30 lbs, with the compressor taking up most of that weight. The biggest advantage in removing the system would be gaining all the space in the engine bay. With the lines gone and the condensor and compressor removed, things are a lot cleaner looking. Plus there is added airflow across the radiator and engine, though now the radiator has no "shield" to catch all the rocks and bugs.
bah, just put some screen in front of it:tongue:

i'm looking into getting the eliminator too, i never use a/c even on the hottest days, but i want the cleanness of the engine bay the most, the weight really isnt that much(though every bit helps)

·
Registered
178 Posts
i love my ac! you guys are crazy. though if mine broke i probably wouldnt fix it. but as is. its still spinning just fine. no need to buy a replacement a/c delete pulley

my brother drives an acura and his a/c pulley locked up. then you have to fix it, but other wise its fine.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Also consider not just any weight savings, but, especially if you're trying to get as much HP as possible, by eliminating the AC-you'll be reducing drag on the motor/crank. Less drag=less effort to rotate which= HP....probably only one or two HP's, maybe alittle more, but not a lot...but every little bit helps. This could help, even when it's cool and you're running your heat cause when you rund the defrost, it cycles the AC compressor to help keep the AC line seals from drying out and leaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts