TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like each year, i am stuck with the task of recharging 2 '94 4.6's. One from a crown vic, and the other a tbird while my Caprice still is on 16 year old R-12. Ok, here goes:

On both cars, when attaching the pressure gauge from the kit on the low pressure side, the measures fluctuate. On both cars, with the car idling, and the compressor off, it shows top green, then when the compressor engages, it moves up to top of the blue, then back down when it turns off.

On the tbird, the compressor runs about 3 seconds in 15 second intervals or so. Right when the compressor engages, the fan engages and runs for about 6-7 seconds.

When i attached the pressure gauge to the vic, it showed pressure green and the compressor never turned on. I'm assuming this is because all the 134-a leaked out. After 2 13 oz cans, the compressor started working. It ran for 3 seconds just the the tbird, but in intervals of 8 seconds. Then i get the same fluctuating readings as the tbird.

Both cars blow cold now. Is the compressor supposed to cycle so often or does that mean it could use some more refridgerant? Thanks!

Adam

·
Registered
493 Posts
it needs more. Mine would do that, and with a 3.8, it would give a noticible surge/loss of power as it does it. My mechanic (whom is A/C certified, mind you) said to just fill it til it stays on for a 'while' - i did that, and it's been working fine since (1 year ago)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts