TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my A/c is suddenly blowing warm/hot air and making a terrible screech from the engine compartment. also it smelled like burned rubber. any ideas? only a month ago i had it serviced to recharge the system an everything was fine then.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ceased...............

I'd say your compressor and clutch are ceased. The burning smell is your belt sliding over the ceased compressor pully wheel. To confirm take the belt off and see if the pully turns or not. If it's ceased you're looking at a new compressor. Make sure you replace the belt as well.

Sorry dude I don't have better news for you.:(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Be aware too that the burning rubber smell is your belt being worn down, so, in short order it will break, which starts a whole new set of problems. If you don't have the cash to replace your compressor and recharge the system and so on, you can get a bypass pulley at Autozone for about $40 that will just bolt in place of your compressor, so you can keep driving until next spring without the cost of redoing the whole AC system.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i leave the A/C off do i still need that pulley because the burning smell and noise only happens with the a/c on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, it sounds like your clutch is okay and the compressor is frozen, so as long as you leave the AC off, you'll be okay. If you keep trying to use the AC, then the clutch will probably burn out and you will have to do the modification. Just pull the 2 wire plug going to the AC clutch under the hood so that there is no chance of accidentally engaging it. Some cars (not sure about T-birds) kick on the AC to dehumidify the window in the winter when you use the defrost, so pulling the plug is good insurance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, indeed pull the power to it for now. Like mentioned, the AC can run in several modes. On a Mark VIII, for example, it runs in all modes except vent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The wiring that goes to the compressor is usually very well secured, so you can just tuck the plug out of the way without much hassle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts