TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in the title, my a/c dosen't work. I recharged it, it blew a little cooler (still considerably warm) compressor cycled on and off, but no cold air. Pressure on the low side jumped up to around 100 psi, bled it down to about 40 psi, still warm. So I drained all the refrigerant. Compressor no longer kicks on. I haven't spent any more time on this, i haven't charged it again because I want to try to troubleshoot this problem before another 25 of my hard earned dollars is wasted.
Amy ideas?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
.....And I was just wondering to myself, is the compressor clutch supposed to cycle on and off, or just run continuosly?

·
5,650 Posts
First, the clutch isn't supposed to engage when the system is empty. Second, the behavior of the clutch depends on several things: the system's charge, the cycling switch set-point, the ambient temperature, and the blower motor speed setting. If it is warm outside (more than 80*) and you have the A/C blower on HIGH, the clutch (if the system is working properly) will run continuously. Lower ambient temperatures or blower motor settings will cause the clutch to cycle. Also, engine speed is a factor as well. At idle it may never cycle off but while driving it will.

I assume you are using the 12 oz. cans to charge it up? This is not the best way to get it done as you cannot accurately measure how much you are putting in. Don't waste any more of your money trying to charge it yourself. Save and have a shop do it. They will vacuum the system and check for leaks and then put the exact amount that you need in. Any moisture in the system will not be removed by charging it yourself and will cause poor performance and eventual system failure.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am beginning to beleive the the compressor itself or the cluth/coil need replaced. It never ran continuosly at idle. It cycled on and off. Also, as I forgot to mention before, I know the cooling fan is supposed to come on while the air is running to keep the condenser cool, it never came on either. I am trying to diagnose/fix this problem myself because by the time I save enough money for a shop to do it I will no longer need the a/c, and I prefer doing things myself, however hard and aggravating it may be. Master486, I do see your point though, let professionals handle it because more problems may arise down the road and/or I could end up screwing the whole thing up which will pretty much mean I am in the same situation as now. So, the problems I see with this is: Cooling fan not properly cooling condenser when air is turned to MAX, clutch cycling on and off producing warm air.

·
5,650 Posts
Do you know if the cooling fan works at all? If it doesn't come on, the lack of airflow across the condensor will also attribute to poor system performance. This could also be why the clutch didn't run continuously at idle. The cooling of the condensor lowers the temperatures of the high-pressure side of the system. Without that cooling the temperature and pressure will just rise and eventually the system will cut off. It does not sound like the clutch/coil has a problem. Unless the clutch is slipping, it's probably just fine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cooiling fan comes on normally as it should. (If it didn't, I would think the car would overheat....my car runs pretty cool, usually never goes higher than the "o" on the "NORMAL")

When you drained the system did you evacuate it completely?
That I am unsure of, I know there isn't any pressure in the lines anymore and the compressor clutch dosen't kick on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
....And I probably shoulda noted this in the original post, but the car hasn't had working air since I bought it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts