TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing my serpentine belt I noticed the a/c pully thing was all jacked up.. what is that part actually called and is it a pain to replace

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
You mean the clutch?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have no idea. the pully for the a/c (thats what the belt sticker says) is free spinning from the part that is attached to the block

·
Super Moderator
9,152 Posts
The part attached to the belt is the pulley. It should spin freely when the belt is not installed. The front plate is the clutch. It is linked to the compressor and only turns when the electromagnetic coil behind the pulley is engaged, forcing the clutch to retract and contact the pulley.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well there's ALOT of play in the pully and metal shavings and dust are coming from it. I can wigle it back and forth in any direction.

·
Super Moderator
9,152 Posts
If that's the case I'd venture to say the bearings are shot. If you spin it, does it make any sort of grinding sound?

A new pulley/coil/clutch pack can be had new for about $100. It might take an hour to replace with the right tools.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah the grinding is one of the more pleasant sounds that it makes. so those three things are usuly sold together?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well now that I know the name of what it is i'll bust out the search. thnkas for the help

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
go with an AC delete pulley

·
Super Moderator
9,152 Posts
You can get just the pulley, but the clutches do wear out eventually. IMO it's worth the extra money to just get the entire assembly and replace all of it while you're there since you need to remove the clutch hub to get at the pulley anyway.

The Motorcraft P/N for just the pulley is F5VY-19D784-A and goes for $75 on Rockauto.com. The entire clutch pack assembly is F5VZ-19V649-AARM and runs for $115.

BTW - be sure to remove the snap ring holding the pulley on after you get the clutch off. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
snap ring?

·
Super Moderator
9,152 Posts
One of these:

You can see the snap ring underneath all the grease; the part you stick the tool into is at the lower right in the pic.

Snap ring pliers can be had at any auto parts store for under $10.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts