TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Probably been asked, couldn't find by a search. The low and high service ports on my A/C with the little black balls are leaking, bought a service kit from auto zone that came with the black caps as well as the complete fittings & two schrader valves, my question is, there were no schrader valves in the lines after removing the caps,not the black caps. Am I missing something here? Thanks for any input. PS This is one of the oil drinking 95 Cougars 4.6. One wasn't enough, I had to have two of them.
RGM

·
Registered
408 Posts
You have the 2-piece type ports. They don't have a replaceable Schrader valve; the seal is integral, so you must replace the port assembly as a unit.

You'll need the special octal sockets required to install these, unless you want to mangle them up with vise-grips or pipe wrench (and not have proper torque on them). Normal sockets will not fit -- NATURALLY the HVAC engineers had to make sure of that; can't make it too user friendly, now can we?!
There are only a few brands of these sockets that I'm aware of. The least expensive (that I found) is FJC, which are probably machined at the same factory as the other brands and merely rebadged. I bought the FJC2746 (low side) and FJC2748 (high side); they're good quality and they fit my new OEM ports perfectly.

These pics show the differences between the 1 and 2 piece ports. Full OEM part numbers for 2-pc ports at bottom of this post:

Two-piece:

One-piece:

The 2-piece high side is part #F3AZ-19E762-A
The 2-piece low side is part #F3AZ-19E762-B
The high side port comes with a new o-ring. The low side doesn't, or at least mine didn't.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Probably been asked, couldn't find by a search. The low and high service ports on my A/C with the little black balls are leaking, bought a service kit from auto zone that came with the black caps as well as the complete fittings & two schrader valves, my question is, there were no schrader valves in the lines after removing the caps,not the black caps. Am I missing something here? Thanks for any input. PS This is one of the oil drinking 95 Cougars 4.6. One wasn't enough, I had to have two of them.
RGM
I made this same mistake. I wound up just getting the whole low side pipe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Torque, after buying the replacement valves, I decided to carry to someone that had the proper tools and other know-how. Thanks for your detailed explanation and diagram. Sorry for the slow reply.
RGM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts