TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just bought a 96 Thunderbird LX a month or so ago and It's had some strange problems I just can't figure out.

Car on, in park, it's fine,

Car on, brake down, in drive and not moving it vibrates very noticably.
Car on, brake down, in reverse it does the same thing and sometimes the revs jump up and down.

Now recently reversing has become almost impossible, because it stalls out. I have to restart the engine twice sometimes to get out of a parking spot.

At speed and driving it's perfectly fine though. And right after I bought it I did a tuneup, replaced oil and filter, coolent flush, new spark plugs, transmission oil and filter, seafoam [Tank, oil, and intake], and replaced the airfilter with a Spectre one and deleted the silencer. Also replaced some dried up vacuum hoses.

It idles about at 600-650 RPM, which to me is way too low. When you first shift from park to reverse or drive it dips under 500 too. I've checked for vacuum leaks and found none. I was also wondering if there is a typical spot that leaks like to find. [Taurus love to eat up PVC elbows]

I'm also wondering if it's the IAC but I have not checked.

Thanks for anyhelp with this problem!

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
IAC would explain it handily.

Unplug the IAC and see if the idle changes any. I'd bet not.

RwP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nada. I pulled it off at work and it looks clean, even put some TB cleaner in the channels on the intake.

Also, wanted to mention it throws no codes. None pending either. I have all the tools to fix it but I can't seem to find a hint of where the problem lies.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Nada. I pulled it off at work and it looks clean, even put some TB cleaner in the channels on the intake.

Also, wanted to mention it throws no codes. None pending either. I have all the tools to fix it but I can't seem to find a hint of where the problem lies.

Thanks.
To clean my IAC I used qtips and TB cleaner and kept wiping in all the crevices until the qtips came away clean.

-g

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I replaced my IAC with one from the JY, cleaned it and all. I ohmed it as well, the thing is fine.

I adjusted the idle higher so the vibrations stopped a little, but now I have another really annoying problem.

When I park on even the slightest incline, foward or backwards, the car won't start unless I give it an ample amount of gas. Sometimes too if I idle or reverse up or down a hill it will stall out.

What can be the cause of this? It's still not even throwing codes. All fluids and everything is new. I never touched the fuel pump or filter? Can it just be a clogged filter or a weak or dying fuel pump?

Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Roach, what color is your t-bird bye the way. Is it pearl white by any chance. The reason i am asking is because mine had the same symptoms before it got totaled.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sorry i just realized that yours is green. Also have you serviced the tranny. Sometimes it would go out of gear and when i slowed down it would operate normally. Just letting you in on some of the things that happened to me. They also recommend a j-mod to the transmission

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only thing I did for the tranny was fluid and filter. I didn't suspect the transmission at all to be the cause of a problem like this. Granted she was a little rough in shifting before but after the change it seems as close to normal as I can tell lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts